Getrag 240 input shaft bearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 240 input shaft bearing

So I have a getrag 240 attached to an m40 engine. I'm not sure if it's the original 240 to m42 engine or if when a previous owner swapped in the m40 they did it with long block and trans. From what I can tell though the only real difference is at the flywheel. I'm getting a lot of noise from the input shaft bearing. At least, I get a ton of noise coming from the transmission tunnel / rear of engine any time the clutch is not depressed. Depress the clutch pedal at idle or while moving and it goes away. I thought I'd found the info on this previously but now I'm at a loss. Remove the housing cover and shaft seal. Remove the bearing with either a puller, luck, or packing behind it and using a dowel like a plunger. OK doesn't sound too crazy. Can't find the part though. Thought I had one from a previous owner. In some places I get this 23121224375. Rock auto claims to have one. Supposedly they aren't made anymore. Idk. Or someone want to sell me a cheap 240? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to overdiagnose over the internets, but it's usually the countershaft bearings,
    which spin whenever the input shaft spins.

If you proceed with it as a center- plate transmission and pull the front case as a cover, it's only a moderate pain in the butt
    to get apart. As you slide the case off, you also have to simultan3ously press the input shaft into the case, as it doesn't clear the countershaft.

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Well for future reference and anyone who might be curious. I lost 4th gear on the way to the race today. Replaced mounts and guibo and noise was there in every gear but 4th. In a stripped car it was loud enough to want ear plugs and then suddenly it wasn't that bad anymore. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Nonamedude View Post
        Well for future reference and anyone who might be curious. I lost 4th gear on the way to the race today. Replaced mounts and guibo and noise was there in every gear but 4th. In a stripped car it was loud enough to want ear plugs and then suddenly it wasn't that bad anymore. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        That's definitely the countershaft bearings.
        Every gear except fourth sends torque through the countershaft. Fourth couples the input shaft directly to the output shaft. That means that in fourth there's no load on the countershaft bearings, even though they are turning. So if your noise goes away in 4th, then it's countershaft bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
          That's definitely the countershaft bearings. Every gear except fourth sends torque through the countershaft. Fourth couples the input shaft directly to the output shaft. That means that in fourth there's no load on the countershaft bearings, even though they are turning. So if your noise goes away in 4th, then it's countershaft bearings.
          Would that still make sense with the noise gone and 4th gear no longer working? I would think if I'd blown a counter shaft bearing up it would make more noise and 1,2, and 3 would be really shitty to drive in. It's parked now but I drove it another 35 miles back home. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X