G260 Output Shaft Flange Lock Tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G260 Output Shaft Flange Lock Tabs

Reading up in the Bentley on changing all the seals before swapping a manual trans in ('86 ES).

On the rear output flange nut, I'm not seeing any lock tabs or lock washer. I buzzed it briefly with an impact and deep socket, no budge. You can see in the blowups it's rounding the nut a bit. You can see some scratch marks where I poked around with a small screwdriver in those recesses. Am I missing something?

I also read about the sealant - maybe I need to heat the flange and nut before trying again?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5972.JPG
Views:	1521
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	9935057

Name:	IMG_5974.JPG
Views:	1336
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	9935058

Name:	IMG_5976.JPG
Views:	1312
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	9935059

Hard to tell but the lock washer gets hammered or pressed over and around the nut. The washer is probably what's causing you to round the nut. You need to pry the washer out using the recesses (It can be a pain) and then hit the nut with an impact. IIRC, it's the same principle as the rear wheel bearings.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Oh...now you've got me wondering about pic #2 and instead of a rounded nut, that's the folded plate of a lock washer against the nut.....

Comment

Nope, there was no lock tab washer. Someone must have put a new seal in and trashed the washer and didn't replace it.

I used some heat on the nut and the output flange, used the impact gun, rattled a while, popped off. Output flange came right out - no puller needed.

Just need to decide if I can clean up the nut with a file or just get new.

Comment

Just curious: how do you install the lock washer so it stays on snug? I butchered one pretty badly.

Comment

With something flat and sharpish peen the outer rim in place at both sides of any recess around the perimeter of the area. It helps if you keep the socket in place to prevent the washer from jumping out of position when you hit it. Also not a bad idea to buy an extra (same for the axle nut washers) when you are doing a job like that in case you distort it on the first try.

Comment

Working...
            X