Another Diff Fluid Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Diff Fluid Debate

yes yes i know theres lots of threads already on this. And theres just as much conflicting information. i have an LSD that i suspect has the wrong fluid in it bc it grinds noisily like a tire rubbing under slow cornering. First i used a Valvoline 75-140 in my diff and it still had some grinding, bought a new diff and grinding, maybe even worse than before. before i drop the subframe and replace every last component in there, im going to try one more fluid change. i just bought some MOTUL 75-140 with LSD additive even though fcpeuro said it wouldnt fit my car (e30 4.10 LSD). Im also considering getting the Redline 75-140 with LSD additive. has anyone ever experimented with these things? please comment.

At this point all of these old diffs have a hell of a lot of mile son them, so that is one issue all on its own. Anyway, it is common for LSDs to make chirping/bad noises when you use non-LS gear oil in them. If you don't run like that for too long, then it can be OK. Your local parts store should sell some limited slip additives that you can just add in with the non-LS gear oil in there now.

Anyway, if you already have gear oil with LS additive in it, then just flush out what is in there with the proper stuff. If it still makes bad noises after a mile or two, you have other issues.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

Working...
    X