Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1&2 hard to shift, whirring noise until clutch pushed, ISO trans rebuilders Detroit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1&2 hard to shift, whirring noise until clutch pushed, ISO trans rebuilders Detroit

So as stated I have a whirring noise that goes away when I depress the clutch. Internet so far says bad release bearing.
    Not sure if this happened at the same time, but it is hard to engage 1st and 2nd. Now, if I get into one of them, getting into the other is way easier. But from a cold start or other gears (R, 3-5) it is hard.

Wondering if they can be related? Is the scientific thing to do to replace the release bearing and see? I'd like to avoid pulling the trans twice, if its knowable that I already need a rebuilt or new trans then I can do it all at once.

If I proceed with rebuilt, is anyone near Metro Detroit to be recommended?

Car is M42/Getrag GT240, trans hasn't seen any work in the 25k miles and 8 years I've owned it.

Does engagement feel odd with the engine off? Have you looked at the condition of your shift linkage, how's shifter alignment?

Seems unlikely that you would have an internal issue concurrent with or immediately after a known failure of a clutch system component.

Comment

Yup, sounds like a TOB issue. If it fails, then the clutch will not fully release, so your issue with hard in gear is most likely the TOB. Under normal circumstances the TOB will outlast the clutch disc, so light be wise to start with a fresh clutch kit.

The g260 is a pretty stout gear box. Had a client a couple years ago making almost 520whp and the box was never an issue. Axles on the other hand....
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
      X