G260 Transmission refresh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

G260 Transmission refresh

I started noticing leaks from my transmission coming from a few places, which is worrying and slightly embarrassing.I’m leaking from the output shaft seal, selector rod seals, and definitely from the counter shaft seal. I tried to crack open the transmission to get a peek and possibly replace some bearing if need be except I’m stuck at the step where I need to separate the bell-housing from the rear case. I followed the Bentley Manual yet the darn thing won’t come apart. What gives!!!? I made an adapter piece for the input shaft guide sleeve area out of piping and a flange to pull from with a 3-jaw puller (which cracked). Any ideas or something I missed? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Something like this https://www.drive2.com/l/9405101/

eEuroparts.com is the premier supplier of European auto parts for SAAB, BMW, Volvo, VW, Audi, Mercedes, and other European car brands. Since 2000.
    Last edited by Vincenze; 08-15-2020, 11:38 PM.

Comment

I ended up getting it to open up. Upon further investigation I noticed that the lip that the input shaft bearing rest on came clean off. Apparently the shim that rests between the bearing and the snap ring got caught while opening up the tranny and didn’t let the bearing move smoothly with the bell housing. So now I need a new bell housing. Also, the countershaft bearing is in pieces, unrelated to me opening the case. I’m now looking for a bell housing replacement for my g260 :( Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yo man, how did you finally end up gettin the trans to split open? I am having the same problem and have taken literally all the bolts out of the trans and am using the same puller method you did with no luck. Thanks!

Comment

Sorry for the late reply dude. In the end I ended up mucking things up, which is why I couldn’t separate it. The reason was due to a shim washer after the initial lock-ring (super duper circlip) before the input bearing, it got jammed and I ended up cracking my bell housing. I used a 3 jaw puller and some pipe assortments to unmate the bell housing in order to separate the rear. In the end I threw my hands in the air accepted my fate and ordered a rebuilt tranny from condor speed.

Comment

Working...
            X