is it possible to swap an e36 m3 auto tranny into an e30 with an m20b25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is it possible to swap an e36 m3 auto tranny into an e30 with an m20b25

Hey, there hoping this post will gain some traction. So I am forced to drive an auto tranny equipped car due to a physical disability. My question is, is it possible to swap an e36 M3 auto tranny with the sport shift switch option on a regular E30 M20 car? If not, what other option do I have? Obviously if money was not an option the sky is the limit but, on a working family man's budget is it possible to drive an auto and still have a ball? How much all in with a mechanic doing the install do you think? Thanks in advance.
    sigpic

Ooo, you ask a good question. It will bolt onto an M20. It should physically fit.

It probably won't shift-
    https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=24_0955

because it's electronic, and by the E36, the transmission electronics talked to the car.

HOW MUCH, I don't know- by E46, it's a pretty involved set of networks for everything from throttle percentage to
    whether you're using the right key.

There's another option, from the E46 world- a double clutch gearbok.
    It's not trivial, but it looks cooler than anything slushbox.

It's not free, and it's not plug and play, but WOOHOOO!

https://www.e46fanatics.com/threads/...#post-18713087

hth

t
    now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Thank you TobyB.

Oh gosh...that sounds way to involved and nothing but a headache! I don't want to give up on the E30 platform but sounds like I am forced into a corner to make a decision...

Now, the JDM MTechs come with a sport-shift auto tranny. I believe it's called a 4HP22A those have an ECU that hold the revs...that might be my only option aside from a regular slush box...
      sigpic

Comment

I believe that USDM automatics also got the sport selector, maybe as part of a sport package, but not sure if it holds revs.

I wonder if you could manualize the standard 4HP, and I'm thinking that maybe someone did already.

Comment

I'm currently talking to a company about support for the 6HP26 gearbox. It's not public so I'm not going to name them, but beta support is scheduled for end of this year.

The 6HP is a totally awesome transmission; it's smaller and simpler compared to the older 5 speed, bulletproof and capable of both smooth and (very) quick shifts. It's from different planet compared to the tragic 4 speeds.

Send me a DM if this is something you'd be interested in, I want to keep them motivated :).

Comment

Originally posted by Thommm View Post
            I'm currently talking to a company about support for the 6HP26 gearbox. It's not public so I'm not going to name them, but beta support is scheduled for end of this year.

The 6HP is a totally awesome transmission; it's smaller and simpler compared to the older 5 speed, bulletproof and capable of both smooth and (very) quick shifts. It's from different planet compared to the tragic 4 speeds.

Send me a DM if this is something you'd be interested in, I want to keep them motivated :).
            Have sent you a DM.

Comment

Working...
            X