Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you identify what came out of my transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you identify what came out of my transmission?

My Getrag 240 is nearing the end of its life, after a few hard pulls in 2nd at the limit of traction on high boost, the transmission is really not liking 2nd gear. I decided to do a fluid flush "just to see" before I pull it out, and I got a bunch of metal flake/glitter in the fluid as well as roller bearings(see drain plug photo), and the 3/4s of object pictured.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	9959107
    Click image for larger version

Name:	drain plug.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	9959108

It doesn't really matter what failed, but I would like to know because I am curious. The transmission does go into 2nd gear when stopped, but it grinds when attempting to select while moving. I haven't really tried too many times as I still want to drive the car to the location where I swap the gearbox.

Any guesses? I am guessing it is a trust washer holding the needle bearings between the main shaft and 2nd main gear, but I have no idea.

P.S. The torque limit is probably around 250-260wtq. This was on old 195 tires
    '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
    NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
    Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

I've never had a getrag apart, but it does look like a synchronizer ring that I have seen in other transmissions. Can you tell what kind of metal it is? Is it magnetic?

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
      I've never had a getrag apart, but it does look like a synchronizer ring that I have seen in other transmissions. Can you tell what kind of metal it is? Is it magnetic?
      although quite heavy, I don't think it was magnetic--but I can't be sure. No part of it was in the drain plug(which is magnetic). After looking at some schematics I believe it is the "stop ring" (#18 pictured) which appears to keep 2nd gear spaced away from 3rd gear, and I assume some needle bearings under the 2nd speed gear.
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
      X