Bleeding new master clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bleeding new master clutch

Hey everyone, I installed a new master clutch cylinder a few months back as the original started leaking all over the footwell. I did not bench bleed the cylinder as I have a schwaben pressure bleeder, and thought that would be good enough. Install went well, bled the clutch, and the pedal felt good. For a myriad of reasons I hadn't driven the car since the new clutch master was installed.

Fast forward to this weekend, I finally get the car started and went to drive around the block t check things. I started losing clutch travel half way down the street, and eventually had to go around the block in first as i had no clutch pedal at that point and couldn't take out of gear. Clearly i didn't bleed it properly...

Anyways, to correct this, do I just need to run a ton of fluid through it? Should I leave the pedal pressed in to help let the air out? Do I pressure bleed the clutch with the pedal down?

Looks like you need to bleed your clutch slave cylinder. The fluid from the reservoir feeds it but it because it is just a hose, the pressure bleeder doesn't have the same effect on this portion. You might have to disconnect the slave and push the plunger in and out a few times to release the air trapped in there. Just research to bleed the slave and you should be ok after doing it.
    Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
    BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
      Looks like you need to bleed your clutch slave cylinder. The fluid from the reservoir feeds it but it because it is just a hose, the pressure bleeder doesn't have the same effect on this portion. You might have to disconnect the slave and push the plunger in and out a few times to release the air trapped in there. Just research to bleed the slave and you should be ok after doing it.
      I guess i should clarify that when i bled the clutch initially i opened up the bleeder on the slave cylinder. I can try pulling the slave, moving it in and out a few times, and then forcing a bunch more fluid through. If i just let it flow fluid for a good long while, that would be enough i would hope?

Comment

This has happened to me a few times over the years. One thing, the stock orientation of the slave cylinder is to have the bleed screw facing up, well this traps air until bled. If you reverse is with bleeder facing down, it makes it easier and you also let it drain slowly to let air out. If you will try to move the plunger manually, make sure not to pull to much out or it will pop out past the seal.

Hoping you just have air in that line and you will be back with a solid clutch.

Comment

This has happened to me a few times over the years. One thing, the stock orientation of the slave cylinder is to have the bleed screw facing up, well this traps air until bled. If you reverse is with bleeder facing down, it makes it easier and you also let it drain slowly to let air out. If you will try to move the plunger manually, make sure not to pull to much out or it will pop out past the seal.

Hoping you just have air in that line and you will be back with a solid clutch.
          I'll have to take a look when i crawl under the car this afternoon. I have a brand new febi slave cylinder i didn't feel like installing at the time, but may just replace it now. Since I had the trans out when i did the 24v swap, i think i may have already revered the orientation to bleeder down as that would have likely made more since in my head at the time, but we shall see.

Comment

If you do replace it, I recommend if you haven't already, the the hose to SS line, especially if its the stock rubber one.

Comment

If you do replace it, I recommend if you haven't already, the the hose to SS line, especially if its the stock rubber one.
              Thankfully I already did SS lines all around the car. The clutch line was especially not fun due to stripping of the original hard line...

Comment

Working...
              X