Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5-speed swap parts - do I need anything else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5-speed swap parts - do I need anything else?

So I’m about to tackle my 5-speed swap and I want to make sure I don’t need to order any more parts so I can get this done in a day without dealer trips or waiting on 1 or 2 small things to get shipped.

Anything else I should do while I’m in there that would be much more difficult/time consuming otherwise?

Here’s what I’ve got:

Used parts (all OEM):
    G260 & crossmember
    late model pedals
    driveshaft with good CSB/guibo
    clutch fork
    shifter arm

New parts:
    Sachs clutch kit
    FTE master/slave
    OEM G260 seal kit (input/output/shifter shaft/securing plate)
    OEM freshly resurfaced single mass flywheel
    OEM clutch fork spring
    OEM pivot pin
    OEM pilot bearing
    OEM flywheel/bellhousing bolts
    OEM shift rod circlips
    OEM selector joint
    OEM bitch clip
    OEM Z3 shifter/ZHP knob
    OEM shifter rebuild kit
    AKG DSSR
    OEM shift linkage boot
    OEM E21 trans mounts
    OEM shift detent plate
    OEM soft clutch hose 21521163714
    OEM hard clutch pipe 34326755555
    FTE slave to master hose 21521153513
    OEM Hydraulic Hose Connector
    Corteco rear main seal
    VictorReinz rear crank flange gasket
    Elring exhaust manifold gaskets
    OEM manifold studs/copper nuts
    2 quarts of MT90
    shifter boot
    1990 E30 325i sedan - Gletscherblau (280) over Indigo cloth (0271)

Bump

Comment

Guibo bolts and nuts?
      Driveshaft to diff nuts?

I assume the automatic brake fluid reservoirs have provisions for the clutch hose? And the clutch kit comes with an alignment tool?

The only other items I can think of is the drain/fill plugs--but that's only if you think you might damage them removing them for the drain/fill process. Always loosen your fill plug first, since you don't want to find out it is stuck after you drain the fluid. Perhaps assorted exhaust related components like hangers or nuts/studs(for the mid-pipe) if you don't know the condition, but it certainly won't prevent you moving the car.

Outside of these things, I would say the normal gotchas--is the freshly resurfaced flywheel within minimum spec? Are you doing this on jackstands? If so, do you have a trans jack?(it makes life a lot easier if you are planning to use a floor jack) Do you have thread locker for the flywheel bolts and other bolts? I think they come coated, but just to be sure. Do you have a slide hammer and pilot bearing puller? (or lots of newspaper or bread) Threaded rod to put into the block is nice to align the transmission, but can get in the way if they are too long. Might be helpful if you can't lift and align the transmission.

Also a good opportunity to do diff fluid.
      '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
      NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
      Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Make sure you get the correct flywheel for the engine. The "E" motors use a reference pin on the flywheel. And the bell housing needs the provision for both position and reference sensors.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by Jaxx_ View Post
          Guibo bolts and nuts?
          Driveshaft to diff nuts?

I assume the automatic brake fluid reservoirs have provisions for the clutch hose? And the clutch kit comes with an alignment tool?

The only other items I can think of is the drain/fill plugs--but that's only if you think you might damage them removing them for the drain/fill process. Always loosen your fill plug first, since you don't want to find out it is stuck after you drain the fluid. Perhaps assorted exhaust related components like hangers or nuts/studs(for the mid-pipe) if you don't know the condition, but it certainly won't prevent you moving the car.

Outside of these things, I would say the normal gotchas--is the freshly resurfaced flywheel within minimum spec? Are you doing this on jackstands? If so, do you have a trans jack?(it makes life a lot easier if you are planning to use a floor jack) Do you have thread locker for the flywheel bolts and other bolts? I think they come coated, but just to be sure. Do you have a slide hammer and pilot bearing puller? (or lots of newspaper or bread) Threaded rod to put into the block is nice to align the transmission, but can get in the way if they are too long. Might be helpful if you can't lift and align the transmission.

Also a good opportunity to do diff fluid.
          Part # for the bolts by any chance? I mean all the necessary bolts. I got the pressure plate(6) and bellhousing bolts(not sure how many), but guibo, diff etc, not sure what kind of bolts i need.

Comment

Working...
          X