Exhausting work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhausting work

Well, the project has reached the dreaded exhaust-system phase. Starting with X5 manifolds, the stock flanges were cut off each, and then new tubing was used to place the "collectors" in more favorable locations. Since the stock manifolds are double-walled (and split runner), we cut the outer layer, and then welded to the interior tube. By transitioning from 2" to 1.75", we hope to achieve a reverse cone effect by transitioning back to 2" after the flange.

The steering shaft was a significant obstacle on the driver's side, but it was overcome with a few careful bends. Next comes the tail-pipe assembly, with a goal of not breaking the plane of the front sway-bar. We'll see.

-Bruce
    Attached Files

Damn fine work so far!

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by BruceBe View Post
      Well, the project has reached the dreaded exhaust-system phase. Starting with X5 manifolds, the stock flanges were cut off each, and then new tubing was used to place the "collectors" in more favorable locations. Since the stock manifolds are double-walled (and split runner), we cut the outer layer, and then welded to the interior tube. By transitioning from 2" to 1.75", we hope to achieve a reverse cone effect by transitioning back to 2" after the flange.

The steering shaft was a significant obstacle on the driver's side, but it was overcome with a few careful bends. Next comes the tail-pipe assembly, with a goal of not breaking the plane of the front sway-bar. We'll see.

-Bruce
      MMMM... I like the steering coupler! Is that the Flaming River stuff? I'm so glad you're a few months ahead of me in the build... I have a nice text and picture manual for my build only a keystroke away, Lol! What does the X5 manifold look like on the passenger side? The drivers side looks the same as the E39 540 manifold... Looks nice Bruce. Are you using a hydraulic throwout bearing? I think I see the clutch slave cover plate. Pretty slick...

Garey
      Last edited by bmwmech1; 05-09-2011, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Very nice work! If you have more pictures of the manifold outside the car/before it got mounted post them up :)
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

thats some nice progress, Im sort of procrastinating on my exhaust. Are you going to keep it dual all the way back or what?
          Last edited by BimmerScreamer; 05-10-2011, 10:27 AM.
          Anything can be done

Comment

Where is the steering shaft segment and couplers from?
            Originally posted by Matt-B
            hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

GG - i think AKG makes those at 200-300 a pop.
              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by george graves View Post

Where is the steering shaft segment and couplers from?
                Looks Like Flaming River bits to me.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005

Good stuff. :)

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                  Looks Like Flaming River bits to me.

http://www.flamingriver.com/index.php/products/c0005

Good stuff. :)
                  I guess nobody read my first reply

It is Flaming River stuff... Bruce and I had a conversation about it a while back. They have the correct metric splined stuff for our application. It's cheaper than the Vorshlag piece(sorry Terry) and their stuff is top-notch...

Garey

Comment

Yep - U-joints are Flaming River. They have the correct 54-spline parts (part # FR1963). Shaft is a solid DD piece - they can be found on Amazon. Just take your old coupler, and simply cut the DD piece to create the correct overall length. For the subframe spacer crowd, don't forget to account for additional length.

Nothing special on the clutch throw-out bearing - I'm using the original slave cylinder and clutch fork stuff.

Exhaust will remain dual throughout.

I picked up all of the Parker adapter fittings for the PS pump/rack today, but one 90-degree needs to be swapped out for a straight fitting. After a bit of hand-wringing to determine the mounting location, I installed the remote (Canton) oil filter.

-Bruce
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                      Very nice work! If you have more pictures of the manifold outside the car/before it got mounted post them up :)
                      Sorry - I didn't get a photo before we put them in. Based on what I've seen out there, the X5 manifolds seem to be the best starting point. The driver's side is 4-into-1, and the pass side is 2-into-1 (front 2 cylinders get their own primary; rear 2 cylinders get their own primary; both primaries merge before a single flange).

-Bruce

Comment

Do you happen to have the part # for the x5 oil plate adapter thing, I can't find the number on realoem?

And about the steering setup you have what do you mean by DD, sorry if I just missed it somewhere
                        Anything can be done

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerScreamer View Post
                          Do you happen to have the part # for the x5 oil plate adapter thing, I can't find the number on realoem?

And about the steering setup you have what do you mean by DD, sorry if I just missed it somewhere
                          P/N for the X5 plate is 11 42 1 435 096

DD refers to the shape of the shaft, in this case, both ends are shaped like a D

Garey

Comment

Thanks bmwmech1

BruceBe, is their any reason you didnt add a cooler when you did the filter setup? looks like it would be simple from that point
                            Anything can be done

Comment

Originally posted by BimmerScreamer View Post
                              Thanks bmwmech1

BruceBe, is their any reason you didnt add a cooler when you did the filter setup? looks like it would be simple from that point
                              Putting a cooler in would be straightforward. We'll see if the vehicle needs it, as I have an oil-temp sensor plumbed in immediately after the oil comes out of the pump. The Canton oil filter is an aluminum unit, and is mounted in an area with reasonable air-exchange. I expect it to provide a bit of passive cooling. To the extent I can keep weight out of the nose of the vehicle, and limit the number of plumbing interfaces, that's a good thing.

-Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X