It's Alive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Alive

Well, finally got fire in the hole today. Despite a full re-wire of the entire car, everything pretty much worked (don't forget to plug the two vacuum ports at the base of the throttle body, btw).

The only strange thing - getting unusually *high* oil pressure. Through the mechanical gauge, we're getting 55-60psi at idle, and over 80psi as soon as you add a couple thousand RPM. Oil is Mobil1 15w50. Thoughts?

-Bruce
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Is that a Mishimoto E30 radiator?
    Last edited by dirty30; 05-17-2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

I like!!!! What's the oil pressure susposed to be from the factory? My porsche runs 5 bars at like 2-3k warm.
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Looking good Bruce
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by der affe
        first try a finger or 2, you need to have them suck on it first and get it nice and wet to help it slip in.

if she goes for that, astroglide up your pole, have her lay on her stomach and slip it in slowly and bury it to your balls and leave it there until she relaxes. once she is used to it slam that ass like a screen door.

Comment

I think m60s are supposed to run a 5w-30, could have something to do with the high oil pressure.

Comment

Jeez! Looks incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by dirty30 View Post
              Congrats!

Is that a Mishimoto E30 radiator?
              Yes - an e36 M3 Mishimoto. This car won't be sitting in traffic running the AC, so this radiator should be sufficient. At the price, I would consider trying this radiator in a street car (with careful shrouding), before doing a bunch of heart surgery to fit a wider radiator.

-Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                I think m60s are supposed to run a 5w-30, could have something to do with the high oil pressure.
                A few not-so-random thoughts on the cause:
                1) Oil viscosity
                2) oil pressure relief control valve stuck (in pump)
                3) Bad gauge
                4) Restriction in an oil-passage downstream of the pump

Does an oil-circuit diagram exist for this engine, anywhere?

-Bruce

Comment

Oh and please get a new radiator tank, that thing is HIDEOUS. A gorgeous swap like this deserves a nice, fresh bottle.

Comment

That's outstanding, Bruce! Congrats! It looks really nice and clean... cleaner than a lot of street cars, Lol! I am following your lead on the radiator. I was wondering if there are any 3 core E36 rads, for the extra capacity for the street. I think I remember seeing one somewhere. I'm dying to know how your hybrid clutch works out... I think there are a few of us waiting for you final answer on that piece of the puzzle...

Can't wait for your first test session results on handling, power, feel, etc.! Love it...

Garey

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post
                      That's outstanding, Bruce! Congrats! It looks really nice and clean... cleaner than a lot of street cars, Lol! I am following your lead on the radiator. I was wondering if there are any 3 core E36 rads, for the extra capacity for the street. I think I remember seeing one somewhere. I'm dying to know how your hybrid clutch works out... I think there are a few of us waiting for you final answer on that piece of the puzzle...

Can't wait for your first test session results on handling, power, feel, etc.! Love it...

Garey
                      Thanks Garey - though that last picture you included kind of defines "clean"! Car goes to the dyno tomorrow. Clutch pedal feel is kinda "light", but I won't get too excited about that if the PP does its job. Clutch master cylinder is stock e30, while the slave is stock 530i - so the cylinder ratios might be different. Ran it through the gears on the lift, and it all worky.

BTW - I may have a solution for the non-stock instrument cluster swaps, as it relates to getting the VSS to the DME, which is required. My understanding is that without a speed input signal, the DME will default to an RPM limit that will not exceed the governed top-speed, if the car was in its tallest gear. So, if the car has a top-speed limiter of 135mph, and that translates to 5000rpm in top-gear, that's the RPM limit in all gears. Hence, the "speed-delete" option on all of the 6-cylinder performance chips. I've hunted and pecked, and there is no off-the-shelf performance chip option for the M60 with "speed delete". This currently includes the WAR chip guys in Canada. Anyway, I've tried something, and it will be painfully obvious on the dyno if it doesn't work.

-Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                        Oh and please get a new radiator tank, that thing is HIDEOUS. A gorgeous swap like this deserves a nice, fresh bottle.
                        $78.49 on RealOem. I'll even put your name on it, before I put it in :-)

-Bruce

Comment

Looks good! Can't wait to see a few lap videos.

May I ask why the stock PS reservoir remains after all the AN/JIC conversion discussion/work?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwmech1 View Post

Garey

I believe that PiercedE30 is using an s54 one, iirc those are 3 core.
                            IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerteck View Post
                              Looks good! Can't wait to see a few lap videos.

May I ask why the stock PS reservoir remains after all the AN/JIC conversion discussion/work?
                              It's mostly a function of time and budget. The reservoir will get swapped out, but it's really the high-pressure line that drives the AN decision. The output of the pump is a -5 hose and metric banjo. Our local hydraulic shop was not sure if they could even source that type of hose end.

-Bruce

Comment

Working...
                              X