The semi-Comprehensive M60b40 into E30 swap Q&A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can't be that lazy...

ANyone know how the hell to get the temp gauge and the temp sensors for the gauge and ecu right?

Comment

Lazy as in wanting to switch to manual brakes? Lol...if so, I wouldn't call it lazy...I would call it trying to keep the engine bay as clean as possible.
      1991 318is - Daily/weekend track car.

An on-ramp is a terrible thing to waste...

Comment

Lol no. I meant lazy as if he couldn't click his user name and see his build thread.

Comment

Does anyone have a measurement from the booster mounting on the firewall to the drivers side head? Possibly with gragistic mounts in both the most forward and rearward positions?

Trying to figure out if maybe a tilton/wilwood single compact master could possibly be mounted on the back side of the firewall but still face forward with a mounting plate similar to the massive booster delete.

They're 3.1" long, moving to the other side of the firewall could earn you maybe a half inch or an inch depending on the thickness of the mounting plate. Just throwing out ideas here instead of the e32 setup or the more expensive route of a full pedal/box setup.
          Last edited by NickL; 09-23-2013, 10:05 AM.
          1987 325is - S52

Comment

The cylinder head covers about 3/4 of the stock mounting hole/pattern, so it's not a question of distance from the firewall.

On Garey's car, it was a little over an inch from the firewall to the head... just less than 2 fingers' width.

Comment

Originally posted by NickL View Post
              Does anyone have a measurement from the booster mounting on the firewall to the drivers side head? Possibly with gragistic mounts in both the most forward and rearward positions?

Trying to figure out if maybe a tilton/wilwood single compact master could possibly be mounted on the back side of the firewall but still face forward with a mounting plate similar to the massive booster delete.

They're 3.1" long, moving to the other side of the firewall could earn you maybe a half inch or an inch depending on the thickness of the mounting plate. Just throwing out ideas here instead of the e32 setup or the more expensive route of a full pedal/box setup.

Here is a shot from when I was still mocking stuff up. Keep in mind, there are 6 mounting holes in my setup, the 4 towards the center of the car in this pic are the factory booster mounting holes. There is just no usable room there.

85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
              e30 restoration and V8 swap
              24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Anyone look into using the hydroboost set up from the LS swap kit that Garret sells?

Looks like he was able to keep his ABS in the same spot.

Just picked up my 6-speed transmission today.....hehehe
                Picked up the M60 two weeks ago with the wiring harness.

Working on sorting out the brake side of the swap

Comment

Some of the photos are missing, but this is a really clean way to use a hydroboost:

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                    Some of the photos are missing, but this is a really clean way to use a hydroboost:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=208279
                    I was able to find the pictures in google images, looks super tight.

And is that a bracket he fabricated to offset the hydroboost and MC to the drivers side more to clear the head?

Did he modify the pedals?

Going to keep looking for info on that set up.

Comment

He reworked the pedal and pedal box to move the booster pattern over by its own width (IE, the original left holes become the right holes in the new pattern) and installed a an E32 hydroboost in that location. He picked a MC which put the connections at just the right locations to straddle the brace on the strut tower.

For my swap into a 325iX, I think that an E23 hydroboost, which sits deeper into the firewall, combined with the more forward location of the strut towers may allow the entire setup to nestle behind the strut tower.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                        He reworked the pedal and pedal box to move the booster pattern over by its own width (IE, the original left holes become the right holes in the new pattern) and installed a an E32 hydroboost in that location. He picked a MC which put the connections at just the right locations to straddle the brace on the strut tower.

For my swap into a 325iX, I think that an E23 hydroboost, which sits deeper into the firewall, combined with the more forward location of the strut towers may allow the entire setup to nestle behind the strut tower.
                        Ah ok thank you. That makes sense.

Comment

Alright so here is another question, let me know if this should just be a separate thread, but I felt it would go well with the general knowledge.

I have picked up an M60 from a 740i but need the accessories like starter, powersteering pump, alternator, and a/c compressor. Also picked up a 6-speed transmission from a 2002 540i.

Anyone point me in the right direction to find out which accessories will mount up? I know the newer m62 water cooled alternator is a no go. Anything else to look out for? Hoping to pick the parts up second hand.

Also wondering if the starter wheel changed between the m60 or m62.

Comment

The starter wheel is the same amongst all. I have a starter from an auto tu on my m60/6spd.

All accs will need to be from an m60 car. Find the latest AC compressor you can find. Chances are it'll be in far better condition and easier to rebuild.

Comment

Originally posted by Vtec?lol View Post
                              The starter wheel is the same amongst all. I have a starter from an auto tu on my m60/6spd.

All accs will need to be from an m60 car. Find the latest AC compressor you can find. Chances are it'll be in far better condition and easier to rebuild.
                              Thanks, so the a/c compressor will have to come from the m60 as well?

Comment

I'm doing some research into this swap and have read majority of the build threads/DIY's for the swap, however certain things are still a bit unclear to me. Both at the beginning of this thread and on the RTS link posted, it states that to do an M60 with a 6 speed transmission, you need the engine, the engine harness from a manual, and the transmission.

Here is the issue i'm noticing though. The 6speed can be from any E34 or E39 540/M5, however the engine harness needs to be OBD1. Now there isnt all that many 6 speed M60's being parted or sold for cheap. What is the reason that a engine harness from an 540i Auto cannot be used? is there a TCU that i am unaware of? or is it ok to use an E34 harness from an auto 540?
                                Originally posted by 36brua
                                Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
                                Patryk:up:
                                Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
                                08 VW .:R32
                                04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Working...
                                X