S62 Throttle Cable Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

S62 Throttle Cable Conversion

Trying to figure out the last piece to my S62 swap puzzle. How to convert the drive-by-wire throttle linkage to drive-by-cable.

Anyone ever dealt with this before? Google yields nothing.

Could something like this be adapted/modified/designed?

Also, please do something insane, like this, with alpha-n.

Last edited by Farbin Kaiber; 07-21-2012, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Gives me goosebumps.
      Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
        http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...ion-p1341.aspx

Could something like this be adapted/modified/designed?

Also, please do something insane, like this, with alpha-n.

It might but it looks like it would be better if I just went ahead and worked with my machine shop buddy to create a design I can reproduce on the CNC.

And those trumpets are crazy.. where would you find stuff like that? Love that oil separator idea too.

Comment

FMU, FluidMotorUnion. The car is named "Gold Wheels" it's a 7 Series with s62 and it has electric cutouts...

They make all sorts of wicked plenums, they did Mike B.'s s54 intakes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post

Wonder why they did this? Mustta been some point to it, or maybe didn't like plastic ha.
            sigpic

Comment

I think the reason was hood clearance with equal length runners.

Comment

Look to be about the same height as factory runners?

Also look to be slightly longer, maybe they found something in that.
                sigpic

Comment

Why convert to cable? You can easily bolt the "drive by wire" - potentiometer to the gas-pedal. Makes life much easier..
                  - E34 M5 (x 2) -
                  - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
                  - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
                  - E46 318i Touring -
                  - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Call abl original parts in Chicago.

They have a original drive by wire delete for s54 and are working on one for s62 v8
                    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

why not just keep the e-throttle? it's probably cheaper and less work. a DBW pedal is only around $80-90, vs $300 for the adapter plate, plus a cable. I think you need the mounting clips from a Z3 M (S54 model) but they're inexpensive.

if it's just for the sake of having a cable, it doesn't make any sense. I'd imagine the throttle response is probably *better* with the original configuration. actually, it should be far more linearly than say, a stock E30's throttle movement (the "default" pedal curve is almost exactly 1:1, which is what you want).

I've heard more complaints about the adapters (a handful) than I've heard about the S62/S54 e-throttle (zero). It's anecdotal evidence for sure but I just don't see the benefit here, the e-throttle will actually make a cleaner swap.

the cable conversion probably only makes real sense if you're doing some sort of standalone that doesn't support e-throttle.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                      X