Frank Macaluso's E30S62 Swap Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frank Macaluso's E30S62 Swap Thread

Please reference this build thread for my original E30 M60.
    Please reference this final thread for the completed E30M60.

Allow me to introduce you to the S62 E30 swap build thread. I’d like to be completed with the swap by early July, but we’ll see….

Since there is an M60 in there already, a lot of the hard stuff is already done. Brakes, Transmission, Driveshaft, Shifter. All done. I need to do significant updates to the electric, intake, coolant tank.

Thanks to Adem Ergen at Ergen Motorsports (Facebook Page too!) aka TURK on R3V, he now has my ECU and is reflashing it and adding AlphaN for a few extra horses. Why you ask? Well, it’s nice to boost the Crank HP up past the 400 mark, yes. But I’m doing it for a more important reason. AlphaN removes the need to have MAF’s. The S62 requires 2 of them. One on the pass side and one on the driver side. As you know, I have no room on the driver side, so AlphaN removed both MAF’s and converts one to an AIT (Air Intake Temp) sensor, which is already built in to the driver side MAF’s. Adem will also provide me with a dedicated AIT and wiring so that I don’t even have to use the MAF at all. Just use the AIT and install it in the intake line – far away from the hot hot radiator.

In the meantime, I am waiting until Gutenfest to do any teardown, so I’ve been taking the past week to learn all of the wiring diagrams and studying the excel spreadsheets that Adem Ergen sent me.

Here are a few pics of the engine teardown

And this is Jake!!

This car will be fully OBD2 Functional

I will have an integrated E30 sport button hacked up from an E30 Fog Light switch. Still in the works.

After Gutenfest, I will begin removing the drivetrain and sorry guys. M60’s already been sold! The Complete exhaust setup including headers is still for sale! $400. Will not ship.

Here’s the plan - Schedule from Sunday May 19 to July 4

Exhaust – will be completely redone from my M60 version. This will 4-2-1 into dual 2.5” exhaust. Currently, my M60 swap has dual 2.25” exhaust, so this will open it up a bit.
    Electric – Keeping complete OBD2 Functionality – don’t’ know where I want the plug yet. Sport button to be installed and be 100% functional. Fly by wire – using the S62 potentiometer and adapting it to fit either on the E30 pedal or using the existing cable to operate the pot in the engine bay.
    Fuel – Using an in-tank Bosch 044 with sock and all. Can handle plenty of 400hp.
    Driveshaft – Using my already modified E30 Front/E34 rear
    Shifter – Using my currently shortened shifter brace and the UUC SSK Setup I have.
    Differential – Currently I have 3.15. I will be going to 2.93, of course 25% LSD. I have plans to eventually go to 2.79.
    Air Intake – The S62 has 2 independent intake plenums. I must convert this to 1 somehow. Carbon Fiber? Using the AIT sensor to operate the lack of one from the MAF’s, since I will not be using MAF’s.
    Engine Holder – Using the ones I bought from e30.de that I used for the M60 swap. Same exact parts for the similar block.
    Motor Oil – Man, I am getting raped here! I bought 7 quarts of Castrol 10W60 TWS at $18/quart! Recommended by BMW, so that’s what I’m doing!
    Transmission – Keeping the 6 speed from my 540i.
    Transmission brace – E30 Brace modified to adapt to E30 Chassis.
    Brakes – Removing ABS – Keeping the brake booster as is since I modified it for my M60 swap. Doing a thorough inspection, however.
    Core support – Making it removable for easy installation and repair if need be. I will be beefing it up with additional Cross Members for added support.
    Air Conditioning – I’m keeping the AC working like it is on my current M60 swap.

Stay tuned next week for updates on the tear down. I’ll continue to wait on Adem for the ECU, which he’s hard-at-work on!

One question I have for the group is relative to Tachometer. I have a SGI-8 Dakota Digital Tach unit for the conversion from 6cyl to 8cyl, but my concern is that I want my Tach to look and behave like an E30 M3 tach…aka rev to 8krpm, like the S62 does.
    I first need the fascia for that, but I need to figure out how to get it calibrated to run to 8k. Do I really need the actual M3 Tach? Or just the coding Plug P/N 62111381699??

SEE YOU ALL AT GUTENFEST ON SATURDAY!!!!!!
    Recent Rebranding!!
    Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
    E30 SM62/S62
    E30 M60 V8
    E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
    Instagram.com/garageaholic
    Youtube.com/garageaholic

DUDE. Now I HAVE to do the S62! Subscribed!

See you at GFest!

PS- only the early build date S62's need 10w60. Its like march or may of 00' if I recall. Everything after that takes 5w30. If it were my engine I'd probably just use the 10w60 for peace of mind though.

Comment

Iam planing on the same swap but for my e24 m635 euro. Do you know if their is any available custom mounts and such, parts for it? Cant find anything, might have to make my own parts..

Very nice proyect all the best with it :)

Comment

I like where this is going Frank!
        sigpic

Velocity Motor Works

1972 2002
        1983 533is
        1987 325is (Roxanne)
        1988 M6
        1989 M3
        1989 325ix (Darth Maul)

Gone: 1974 2002, 1984 318i , 1985 318i, 1988 325ix Sedan, 1988 325ix Coupe, 1991 318is, 1991 318i, 1994 525iT, 1995 325is, 1996 M3 Coupe, 1997 328is, 2001 325i, 2001 Z3 2.5i, 2001 330i, 2001 525iT, 2006 F-250 SD and more...

Comment

I'm loving this! Sub'd.

Comment

So in other words you'll be beating Brandon.

Looks like an awesome recipe. Good luck sub'd

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

I have been waiting for this since Brandon mentioned it.

Now I have to come to Bimmerfest East this year!
              1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
                So in other words you'll be beating Brandon.

Looks like an awesome recipe. Good luck sub'd
                Just sold my 2002s and the m30 manifold is getting made next week. The race is still a toss up.

Awesome build Frank, this is really the only way to 1+ an m60 swap. Unless you twin turbo an m60...
                ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Nice dude! Frank - wish you were closer so I could get the exhaust from you! It probably wouldn't work here in CA, but I am sure it would save me time in terms of cutting/welding one up.
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Curious to see how it works out. I've got 2 S62s waiting to go into E30s probably this fall. Going with a stock tune though. I live in the mountains where temps and altitude can change on a mountain drive in minutes and I've been told that AlphaN is not designed for that kind of driving.

Recently tore down 2 other S62s that were badly beat up in rollovers so I have lots of odds and ends if you need anything.

Just make sure those timing chain guide rails are fresh before the drop in. ;)

Comment

Epic.
                      2011 1M Alpine white/black
                      1996 Civic white/black
                      1988 M3 lachs/black

Comment

Awesome project! Could you just run two intake pipes to a larger airbox on the passenger side? That may be easier than a custom plenum.

With alpha-N, you don't need a plenum at all, just run some sweet velocity stacks with foam filters on each. I don't know how well alpha-n will work on a street car though, how often do you drive this car?

Comment

Saw this engine on Instagram. Subscribing.
                          sigpic
                          "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."

Comment

Really think about Alpha-N though. I would figure out how to make the MAF's work if I was going to drive the car a lot. Alpha-N works fine for a race car, but it's the most simplistic fuel and spark control method. It doesn't monitor airflow or manifold pressure, making part throttle and idle not nearly as smooth.
                            Last edited by smalcol; 05-17-2013, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Finally an s62 in the states! This is epic!
                              Keep us informed man!
                              Already in for updates!
                              sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
                              1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
                              1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
                              1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
                              (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
                              1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
                              2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
                              2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Working...
                              X