No announcement yet.

And yet another V8 swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, those are the caps that came with the new rack... I'm fabricating new lines this weekend. As for the ITB plates, I will first test on my car and if the results are mmmkay make them available.

Comment

Originally posted by Yorl View Post
      Yeah, those are the caps that came with the new rack... I'm fabricating new lines this weekend. As for the ITB plates, I will first test on my car and if the results are mmmkay make them available.
      Thanks for the response, today i ordered and S62 head to get map the spacing to make my own adaptor.

Do you feel that the thickness of the adaptor will make a difference? what thickness are yours? considering the ITBs bolt directly to the Head in the M5?

There is a guy here in the UK who has been playing around with inlet lengths and Cam timing, you might find his results interesting.

This is his M62 running on the ITB's -

video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

His Findings after some Tuning -

Hi all,

Sorry for not posting any info lately I've been very busy at my new job...

Right after some serious messing about with cam timing, inlet trumpet length and 3 sessions on the dyno (over 15 hrs in total) I have some interesting results....

First dyno session she only managed 291hp@6900rpm not great and 275lb/ft@5200rpm still not great, this was with cams set to 109deg peak on both and inlet track length from the head of 200mm....

So back in the garage she went, did some research on M60 cams and the general school of thought is that there is to much valve overlap, so redial the cams...

Second dyno session power was up, good..??? Not really, 321hp@7100rpm, but torque very not good...!!! 255lb/ft@4900rpm, now I should point out at this point that nobody recommends revving the M62 past 6800rpm so this really did concern me and it characteristics of an BMW M3 six I wasn't happy...!!! Also the power was still climbing at 7100 and I chickened out..
      The cams where set to 115deg peak on both and same inlet track....

Right so now what...??? I almost give up and pulled the motor.. But I'm no quitter, so back in the garage changed cam timing to 112deg inlet and 110deg exhaust, I also did some research on the inlet track length, the S62 M5 motor sufferers really badly from fitting really short inlet trumpets, so I had already had a set of the BMW original trumpets... So bugger it I fitted the aswell.... This took the inlet track total length from 200mm to 375mm approx...

Third dyno session, happier...?? Yes, sort of.. 357hp@6400rpm and 324lb/ft@5000rpm....

So now I should be happy, right...?? Well it's not the same to drive, it's very cammy, before if you put your foot down it would pull from no revs at all and pull to 6k, now it pulls from low down, not like it did, but if you where used to an M3 you'd be very happy, but in third gear as it goes past 5k (about 80mph) it starts to struggle for grip, even in the dry weather and that's with 245 tyres on it, its very unsettling to drive....����
      Sounds like i will be using the standard long S62 Stacks with filters on mine to start with.

Comment

Yup, that's one of my concerns running stock cams.... I made the spacer one inch thick, but there really is no room for more. But as I said, this engine is just to make sure everything works. Interrdting read, BTW!

Comment

I made the spacer one inch thick, but there really is no room for more.
          Under your bonnet for clearance you don't have room for more length on the inlet?

I have my engine running a Dry sump so it it quite low, should allow me to machine a thicker spacer if we think it would be beneficial.
          Last edited by BenzoNI; 12-07-2014, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Thicker spacer would definitely help. I dropped my engine as much as I could, and had different sets of stacks 3D-printed to get the right size (the size that fits). From previous experiences, the distance between throttle plate and intake valve makes more difference than stack throttle plate, that's why I went down that route... We'll see if ot works!

Comment

Thicker spacer would definitely help. I dropped my engine as much as I could, and had different sets of stacks 3D-printed to get the right size (the size that fits). From previous experiences, the distance between throttle plate and intake valve makes more difference than stack throttle plate, that's why I went down that route... We'll see if ot works!
              Also something you could go too long on then i assume? I'll have to speak to my engine man and ask him his opinion / advice !

Comment

There's actually and old-school formula to help with that, depending on your cam timing, bore, stroke, valve size and exhaust primaries lenght.... That would get you close.

Comment

There's actually and old-school formula to help with that, depending on your cam timing, bore, stroke, valve size and exhaust primaries lenght.... That would get you close.
                  Thanks for your help! I know a man who will be able to work it out for me!

Comment

Just going to Order some Weld on AN Fittings to modify my fuel rail next weekend.

Don't have the Rail to hand to check but its stainless steel isn't it?

Comment

That set up is bad ass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      sigpic
                      323i MTEC1
                      Z3 coupe
                      E60 M5

Comment

Not bad at all... If I ever hear "you are gonna fuck up the weight distribution with a V8", shots will be fired.
                        That's with fat driver and half tank of gas. Once I get the new springs and shocks, I'll get a bit better.

Comment

53/47 front to rear, if you don't want to do the math

Comment

Are you any closer to having it running Smoothly? :)

Comment

Nope! I haven't started it in a month or so. Been busy with some other stuff...

Comment

Nope! I haven't started it in a month or so. Been busy with some other stuff...
                                This summer man...we have to meet! I want to see this car... we are not that far am in Quebec city 2.5hours...approx
                                Denny

Blogs:
                                http://bmw325e30.blogspot.com/ (restoration)
                                http://bmw325e30turbo.blogspot.com (Twincharge M20)
                                http://bmw325e30m62b44.blogspot.ca/

Comment

Working...
                                X