Running an M60 Without a BMW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Running an M60 Without a BMW

First off, this is all theoretical. However, I believe it to be possible.

I am currently beginning the frame-off restoration of my great-grandfather's 1965 Dodge D100. As you can tell by the title, I'm considering putting an M60 in it for several reasons:
    1. More power and torque than the original slant 6
    2. Cool Factor- It's a quad-cam V8 in a Sweptline
    3. Fuel Economy - I would expect that fuel injection would give me some gains
    4. Driveability - In the middle of winter, there would be no issues with carburetion
    5. Why not?

Being I have the cab, bed and front sheetmetal off of the frame, it would be the right time to do an engine swap. Here is what I would like to know:
    1. What exactly would I need? (I am assuming : M60, Engine Harness, Possibly Body Harness)
    2. Expanding on that, what is electrically required?
    3. What would be required for gauges? (I am considering using a BMW cluster in the truck)
    4. What else do I need to know?

So, educate me. Based on the swaps I've seen here, you guys seem to know your stuff.

BTW, this is the truck: http://www.sweptline.org/forums/view...p?f=34&t=34013
    IMG_0145 by Jonathan Martin, on Flickr

This sounds like a very interesting project! Unfortunately your link to the truck requires an account/login. So post up some pictures! I can offer no help otherwise, haha.

Comment

Since the link doesn't work, here's the truck

What's coming out

Needless to say, rust doesn't scare me

Comment

The M60 is a fantastic retro fit motor. They used b44's in the heavy rovers.
        Depending on if you want the auto or not will be your number one concern.

Using the auto will require body electronics or tuning.

Using a 5spd would be awesome and simple. in order for the engine to run you won't need anything but the harness, 12 volts, and the 404 ecu.

The ecu does require a speed signal so that will be something you'll need to focus on. If not it may either go into limp mode or simply just give you a check engine light.

You honestly may be better of using an older gm lt1 based engine and a 4l60 for better mileage and usable torque/power band. The BMW would be sweet however, it doesn't generate power down low that well.

Comment

If I were to do this, I would not want an auto. Honestly, I can't stand auto transmissions. My next questions are this - What does the ECU give off as far as gauge signals, and what transmissions can be used with it?

Comment

Bonus points if you make it a 6sp on the tree.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Originally posted by KI4UJO View Post
              If I were to do this, I would not want an auto. Honestly, I can't stand auto transmissions. My next questions are this - What does the ECU give off as far as gauge signals, and what transmissions can be used with it?
              Ecu gives the tach signal, check engine light, and I believe that's it.
              The harness should give you oil pressure and level.

transmissions 6spd would be Getrag G420 and the 5spd I believe is a ZF unit. I forgot the actual number.

Comment

So as far as a speed sensor, what does the ecu need to see? I believe the original was located in the rear differential?

Comment

While that certainly would be unique... a truck like that was made for a big block bro.

Besides, what do these things weigh in at? 5k lbs? I realize it's got a six in it now, but I'm willing to bet that slant six has almost as much displacement as the m60 and has a better low end torque curve.

Also, 'Murica.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                    While that certainly would be unique... a truck like that was made for a big block bro.

Besides, what do these things weigh in at? 5k lbs? I realize it's got a six in it now, but I'm willing to bet that slant six has almost as much displacement as the m60 and has a better low end torque curve.

Also, 'Murica.
                    That's where gearing comes in. The range rovers weigh just as much and they do fine with the m6x engines.

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                      Bonus points if you make it a 6sp on the tree.
                      three on the tree? nah, six just for kicks

Comment

I think I should re-word my speed sensor question. So, is the speed sensor absoloutely necessary? If it is, is there a way to replicate it or delete it?

Comment

Very cool project!

Anyways, +1 to everything Vtec said. Not totally sure on the speed sensor side of it too. For the electrical, you basically just need a 404 DME and the complete wiring harness on the motor. Maybe putting in a portion of the body harness combined with a BMW cluster would work best, not totally certain.

But I doubt the speed sensor is necessary. I've driven my car wired up with the M60 with no speed signal from the OBC to the cluster, it ran fine.

Comment

Originally posted by MJCRO View Post
                            Very cool project!

Anyways, +1 to everything Vtec said. Not totally sure on the speed sensor side of it too. For the electrical, you basically just need a 404 DME and the complete wiring harness on the motor. Maybe putting in a portion of the body harness combined with a BMW cluster would work best, not totally certain.

But I doubt the speed sensor is necessary. I've driven my car wired up with the M60 with no speed signal from the OBC to the cluster, it ran fine.
                            You could pinout the BMW cluster and take it apart and use the outputs behind the original gauge faces. This is 1980s tech, nothing difficult.
                            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
                            X