No announcement yet.

*Updated & only kinda shitty now!* The definitive 5.0/302 swap guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard i need to use a 1970 mustang 302 oil pan for my 89 5.0 swap into my 87 325is correct ?
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

It needs to be a front sump pan, which you'll still need to modify (make sure it's steel, unless you're set-up to weld aluminum). Not sure what year Mustang that would have been for, but shoudln't be too hard to figure out. Tip: Use a one piece oil pan gasket.
      sigpic

Comment

Yea I think the '70s 302s use front sump pans, think that's the right kind.

The $20 pan gasket is totally worth it, the cork ones fucking suck dick

Comment

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/atta...1&d=1407641553 just got this!! hopefully start my 5.0 swap!!;D
          Attached Files

Comment

Sweet man, try to do everything kind of right :)

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
              Sweet man, try to do everything kind of right :)
              Of course man. Trying to do my research ahead of time so I know what to do once im there. My 5.0 is speed density, I want to convert it to maf.

Comment

My thread might be worth checking out as I've done things a bit differently.
                sigpic
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=322351

Comment

So... how bad does your exhaust scrape?

Comment

Anyone try the 4x4 dual pickup pans? They have the normal front sump with a smaller rear sump.

Comment

Hmmm.. never heard of it being done. I'm sure it could work, but the issue'd be that the pickup would still be in the front. Oil wouldn't transfer unless you were doing some seriously hard braking and it'd slosh over into the rear sump under heavy acceleration - at least that's my take on it.

Comment

At the lowest point i've got about a fist height but thats directly inline with the front wheels so not too bad but that also depends on wheel size and ride height. Only thing with my build is that its intention is %80 track use.

I've tried a rear pick up sump(which is different to what you mentioned), that didn't work because the rear sump length needed to be around 70mm and the pick up is around 90mm.
                        sigpic
                        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=322351

Comment

Fuck, really? Thought it'd be much worse than that. Kinda makes me wish I had done that setup instead, I think the single 2.5" pipe is kinda restrictive

Comment

You're running a single 2.5"? Better step up to a 3" for a single pipe...
                            sigpic

Comment

With the stock lolipops I didn't think I had room for a 3" pipe, so I went for 2.5". Now that I've got the THR lolis I'll have enough room for a big ass downpipe when I do the turbo.

Comment

Originally posted by danval View Post
                                Of course man. Trying to do my research ahead of time so I know what to do once im there. My 5.0 is speed density, I want to convert it to maf.
                                Sup !!! A friend and i are doing a 5.0 swap into a 87 325is also. Your not that far from where i work. The car is in lake elsinore where the swap is being done.
                                Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

garage queen 91 bmw 325is / 1972 Chevy El Camino 355 sbc 450hp

Comment

Working...
                                X