M60 swap Pre-Maintenance/Prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 swap Pre-Maintenance/Prep

So long story short, I'm doing an m60b40 swap.

I'm sort of new to the BMW v8's so I was wondering what do you guys recommend replacing on the engine before dropping it into the car?

So far I plan on replacing the following:
    Water Pump
    Valve Cover Gaskets
    Front and Rear Main Seal
    Re-seal the Oil Pan
    Intake Gaskets
    Timing Chain Guide?

If I'm missing anything or recommend replacing any other bits feel free to chime in!

Thanks,
    Rob
    Originally posted by audiquattrot
    bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
    1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
    2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
    1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
    2006 CBR600RR

-you should do the valley pan seal just be careful taking the bolts out we snapped a few off undoing it.

-make sure the bolts the hold the oil pump together are tight... it is a common problem for them to loosen... we were missing one altogether haha

- might replace a couple of the of the main sensors like the crank position sensor and if
    you want be really anal you could replace the knock sensors

- another anal thing is sending the injectors out for cleaning... but one of ours was almost completely blocked

these are just the things I thought of off the top of my head, I can't think of any others. most likely someone else will.

hope it helps!!
    sigpic

86 E(In the car is in a million pieces stage of making it into a bar'd 340E)
    89 I(bar'd swapped)

Comment

BTW, I saw your located in SD are you gonna try and get the M60 bar'd?
      sigpic

86 E(In the car is in a million pieces stage of making it into a bar'd 340E)
      89 I(bar'd swapped)

Comment

Originally posted by filthiest e30 View Post
        -you should do the valley pan seal just be careful taking the bolts out we snapped a few off undoing it.

-make sure the bolts the hold the oil pump together are tight... it is a common problem for them to loosen... we were missing one altogether haha

- might replace a couple of the of the main sensors like the crank position sensor and if
        you want be really anal you could replace the knock sensors

- another anal thing is sending the injectors out for cleaning... but one of ours was almost completely blocked

these are just the things I thought of off the top of my head, I can't think of any others. most likely someone else will.

hope it helps!!
        Thanks!

Yeah I forgot to mention injectors, but I'm going to go a bit larger and send those out for cleaning!

You make a good point about the sensors, I did not think about the knock sensors, I want to replace as much as I can so I don't have to do it later.

I thought about BAR'ing it but I'm most likely not going to. Too much of a hassle since I'm using a tranny from another car and running X5 manifolds with no cat. I smogged my car a few months ago so I'm good until the beginning of 2016.

I appreciate the input though, definitely going to do all that including all the sensors!
        Originally posted by audiquattrot
        bimmers b4 b*tches....remember that.
        1990 Alpinweiss 325i - secret 500whp build
        2000 Audi S4 B5 Laser Red
        1990 Nissan 240sx - Drift Missile
        2006 CBR600RR

Comment

The CCV (behind the intake) and CCV tubing under the intake manifold are a good idea as well.

Comment

Coolant pipe o-rings front and rear
            Coolant manifold gaskets
            Rear block coolant cover gasket and bolts
            Valley pan gasket and bolts
            Ccv and oil separator o-rings
            Oil filter hose o-rings
            Front and rear main seals and rear plate gasket
            Oil pan gasket
            All timing guides
            Lower and upper timing cover gaskets
            Ccv and gasket
            Intake manifold gaskets
            Exhaust manifold gaskets
            Throttle body gasket
            Tensioner o-ring and crush washer
            Valve cover gaskets and bolt rubber washers
            Spark plugs
            Knock sensors
            Serp belt

That's what I can think of off the top of my head. Be VERY careful removing the valley pan and rear block coolant cover bolts. Go very slow, work the bolt back and fourth if it gets tight.
            85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
            e30 restoration and V8 swap
            24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I've got mine down to the bare block with the exception of the crank. Been a slow process due to deployment and lack of funds for the necessary parts but we're almost there! Any one know where to get timing guides for a reasonable price? Piston rings for reasonable as well? I'm doing everything that JGood suggested along with a little more. Good luck and have fun!!
              Some people just need a sympathetic pat...
              on the head...
              WITH A HAMMER!!!

Comment

Working...
              X