No announcement yet.

Project Overly Ambitious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im using the normal 5series pump, e36 rack with a custom chase bays HP line. I asked about the stock restrictor in the line, they dont put one in and dont deem it an issue. im guessing its mostly for steering feel.
    We're in deep now boys
    1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
    1988 340iL - Track car
    My M60 V8 swap thread here
    [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

Originally posted by dasmanschaft012 View Post
      Im using the normal 5series pump, e36 rack with a custom chase bays HP line. I asked about the stock restrictor in the line, they dont put one in and dont deem it an issue. im guessing its mostly for steering feel.
      My thoughts exactly.

Got my reverse switch wired up over the weekend. This coming weekend I may pull my intake manifold to see if I can pinpoint my coolant leak. I really don't want to do that, but I don't really see any other options.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
      Transaction feedback
      - jpod999

Comment

I've had some hiccups since my last post. I broke the aluminum shift carrier which required ripping everything underneath the car back apart. This happened on my birthday, Feb. 21, which was also the 2 year anniversary of the M42 getting pulled . When that happened I pulled the exhaust and driveshaft, it only took about an hour so that was nice.

When I pulled the driveshaft I noticed that the shop who shortened it installed the offset CSB backwards. I split the driveshaft and took the back half to a shop to pull the CSB off, flip it around, and press it back on- now my driveshaft is straight. I guess this is one good thing about having to pull everything back apart- the flex disc probably wouldn't have lasted too long.

I talked to Jean about going the modified early model shift console but ended up taking the shift carrier to a machine shop to get welded back up because I didn't want to have to figure out a whole new setup. The dude ended up welding a 1/4" thick aluminum bar to the top of the carrier to strengthen it. I also started comparing the E39 shift lever to the E30 M20 lever (which I had installed before all this mess) and noticed that the part below the pivot ball is a bit longer on the E39 lever. I thought that couldn't hurt so I installed the E39 lever.

In pulling the exhaust, I saw some room for improvement. Eventually, for serviceability, I'll pick up another set of V-Bands and have them welded on. This way I'll have basically a set of removable downpipes and won't have to reach up into the engine bay to pull my exhaust.

Frustratingly, I found that my coolant leak is actually coming from the heater core. This really sucks as I don't want to have to pull it, and if it's the valve it's going to be an expensive fix. For now, to get the car up and running so I can try putting some miles on it, I just looped the heater core hoses. Not ideal, but I'm trying to get the car to Radwood at Hooptiecon on the 24th and cant' deal with a leaking heater core now.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

I just did the heater core in my car. While a messy and limited space job it isn't too hard luckily. Builds are always frustrating. And I'm going through the same things replacing items I did hastily just to have the car driveable. I have to redo my entire exhaust next which I am not looking forward to. I would go ahead and replace the core though. It is a pretty cheap and relatively easy job. I only found that mine was leaking when I took the carpet out and found it was soaked underneath. Luckily no rust on that side though. Keep up the hard work.
          1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

If it’s just the core that’s bad then I’ll probably do it soon. If it’s the valve, it’s going to have to wait. I don’t want to drop $250 on the replacement.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

I've officially put some miles on the car now! I still have to figure out what the clunking is, but I'm not that worried about it. I have to finish putting the dash back together and then align the front end a bit more than just eyeballing it.

The S2.93 is definitely a low gear- flooring it in second gear doesn't result in tirespin it just digs and goes. The donor E39 had an open 2.81, so while not a super aggressive upgrade, the 2.93 should give some better acceleration. Especially since the car is lighter weight.

In other news- I sold the E39 M5 in late 2013. Not until this morning did I realize just how much I miss V8 torque. That V8 sound is so silly coming from an E30!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

That’s the photo of my son I shared a few months ago. Here’s a few from this weekend.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

Congrats man! That feeling is so good to finally drive the car :)

I picked up a 3.15 to try in mine as 3.46 is just silly with 5 speed !
                  Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                    In other news- I sold the E39 M5 in late 2013. Not until this morning did I realize just how much I miss V8 torque. That V8 sound is so silly coming from an E30!
                    A V8 in a tiny car is GREAT! My Northstar Fiero will accelerate uphill from 1000 RPM in 5th gear at 30 mph.

Comment

Northstar Fiero must be hilarious!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

I bet it feels about like an M60 E30... although the E30 has WAY more gearing and transmission options.

The Fiero ends up about 2900#, although I think I can get it down to 2700# without decontenting more than the sunroof and pop-up headlights. The engine has a built shortblock with 11.5 compression that makes 315 at the wheels with stock cams and unported heads.

Traction is ridiculous, though. Along with the 55% rear weight bias, it can fit 285/30's on 18x9.5's at the rear with no mods at all. I'm confident I can squeeze 315/30's on 18x10.5's or 18x11's with only mods to the struts.

Comment

Well, the car made it from Livermore to Radwood today at Sonoma Raceway- about 65 miles each way. This was the car's first time on the freeway in over two years. The car ran really well and is a blast to drive. Dropping from 6th to 4th and giving it a bunch of gas is quite a bit of fun. There was one slight hiccup when I stopped for gas- the car wouldn't start up afterwards. It wasn't even turning over, so I knew it must have been something electrical. Sure enough, I tightened down the battery terminal clamps and all was fine. There was even a bit of traffic getting into the racetrack and the car idled perfectly, even kicked on the fan automatically for a bit.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

I took the car last week back to the exhaust shop and got another V-Band welded in to the drivers side. Now I can undo the new V-Band and the one on the passenger side exhaust manifold and drop the exhaust while leaving what is now essentially a downpipe bolted to the drivers side manifold. Things I need to do, and things I want to do:

Need:
                            -Pull driveshaft and get it rebalanced
                            -4.4L 404 dme tune
                            -new tires
                            -investigate transmission fluid leak
                            -get front end aligned
                            -fix heater core
                            -investigate sticking caliper
                            -clean up wiring

Want:
                            -full professional detail
                            -new fog blanks
                            -reinstall skidplate
                            -install 318i harness cover
                            -new trunk lid

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                            Transaction feedback
                            - jpod999

Comment

What skid plate u running?
                              We're in deep now boys
                              1988 325i SETA - Daily driver
                              1988 340iL - Track car
                              My M60 V8 swap thread here
                              [oo==OO==oo]

Comment

I have been running John Hickersons plate for like the last 8 years.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X