No announcement yet.

M60 E30 Questions: Coolant hoses, throttle body, fluid reservoir, engine mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M60 E30 Questions: Coolant hoses, throttle body, fluid reservoir, engine mounts

This picture sums up my most recent questions:

1. What coolant hose setup are you using? I'm keeping my oil filter housing in it's stock and inconvenient location, and using the mishimoto z3m radiator (Gets delivered on Friday!!) Hose part numbers would help too as I'm trying to order as many parts as i can before I get started. This applies to the lower hose from the radiator as well.

2. My understanding is the m60 uses two throttle bodies while the vanos m62's had the plastic intake tube as pictured above. I haven't seen very many e30 swaps use both throttle bodies. What setup did you use and why?

3. This is probably a dumb question, but what is this fluid reservoir for? My only thought is brake fluid, but that's above the brake booster...

4. What motor mounts are you using with your garagistic motor arms? I didn't order the ones they recommend, as I should've. Are there alternatives to the 525td or whatever it is they are supposed to come from?

Thanks for any help guys. My excitement is starting to go through the roof as more and more parts are arriving at the door!:):)

1. I can't help here as I haven't gotten that far yet. From your post I'm assuming you are swapping an M60 and not an M62?

2. The second throttle body you are referring to is for the ASC+T (traction control). Any E34 with that option ticked will have the second throttle body. I'm not sure if all E39s had it, but my M62 non-vanos does have the ASC+T throttle body.

3. I don't know, maybe clutch?

4. Revshift used to make M6x mounts, I'm not sure if they still do. I think you can use any M6x motor mount, the td mount is used as it is slightly taller making more oilpan to subframe clearance.

I'd recommend Frank's swap guide, worth every penny: http://www.macalent.com/products.html

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
      I'd recommend Frank's swap guide, worth every penny: http://www.macalent.com/products.html
      This x100. You're already spending alot of money on the swap. Time is money, and the time saved from having all the correct info in one place is well worth the $25 bucks or whatever the manual costs these days. This was by far the best purchase for my swap!
      Originally posted by 36brua
      Isn't that what these forums are all about making stuff easier... OO no never mind this is r3v...
      Patryk:up:
      Instagram: @parkus08

91 BMW 325is ///M-Tech II
      08 VW .:R32
      04 Audi A4 Avant 1.8TQ

Comment

Heads up on leaving the oil filter in the stock location.

Comment

Originally posted by dothadance View Post

Heads up on leaving the oil filter in the stock location.
          Circle #1 in the OP looks like it has a gnarly 45ยบ adapter kicking around the filter, I'm glad the M62 has a different filter housing setup than the M60s lol.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

The best way is to make some brackets for the oil filter housing to move the filter across so you are able to run the factory e34 radiator hoses, makes like alot easier, also easier than finding somewhere/way of mounting the m62 oil filter housing. there was a picture on someones thread here of how they did it.

Comment

Originally posted by WYZEUP View Post
              The best way is to make some brackets for the oil filter housing to move the filter across so you are able to run the factory e34 radiator hoses, makes like alot easier, also easier than finding somewhere/way of mounting the m62 oil filter housing. there was a picture on someones thread here of how they did it.
              As far as I recall it was just some simple metal strap with holes at either end that works more or less as an extension for the top mount yeah?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
              Transaction feedback
              - jpod999

Comment

Yeah I was just steel straps top and bottom to move it across to allow easier placement of the top radiator hose

Comment

#3 is a clutch res, I have the same setup.

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar...re-irs.356333/

This Forum is built on love, and powered by Sexual Tension!

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Thanks for the help so far... I should've mentioned that I do have Frank's swap guide and have read through it a couple times now. He used the 540i radiator which makes the stock hoses fit, I figured the z3m hoses would be different.

I would love to tilt the oil filter housing a little bit to the driver side, but I am running the booster up front, and I imagine there is very little clearance between the booster and oil filter housing.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtFoodBMW View Post
                      Thanks for the help so far... I should've mentioned that I do have Frank's swap guide and have read through it a couple times now. He used the 540i radiator which makes the stock hoses fit, I figured the z3m hoses would be different.

I would love to tilt the oil filter housing a little bit to the driver side, but I am running the booster up front, and I imagine there is very little clearance between the booster and oil filter housing.
                      I've read the stock m50 lower hose will work (don't have the hose yet so I don't know for a fact), and trimming the stock m60 upper hose will work fine (also don't have, so not sure how involved) not sure of the feasibility of leaving the stock filter where it is. Maybe try to lower it to fit underneath the hose?

Comment

Working...
                      X