Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap... (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
    Yep. Those right there are the same headers that I and others have received. They are in fact E30 headers given the bends in the primaries and collector which contour around the chassis/body/subframe/etc.

Kinda surprised you had issues with the passenger side headers though. Literally took me less than 20 seconds to drop in and a minute to tight all the bolts.

I beat out the fenders and firewall as directed to properly fit these. I'm also surprised the fit was so tight. After communicating the issues with Sikky, they seemed sincerely surprised that the collector was too long however, from what I hear out of several customers, it's a known issue.

They sent me 4 total sets of headers, some fitting worse than the original set. I eventually gave up and decided to modify the very first set I had since they fit the best.
    Last edited by E30Whore; 04-20-2016, 06:38 PM.
    My Garage
    09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
    09 E92 335i Msport
    09 E70 X5 4.8
    88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
    87 325i m50 swap
    87 325es

Comment

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap...

Headers Part 2

So to make a long story short, Sikky clearly doesn't have a correct length header. There customer service is outstanding, mailed me several sets and even refunded me a portion of what I spent on the headers. Cheers to them.

However, I'm still stuck with a set of headers that are to long. As a reminder, here is a pic of how low they sit below the subframe.

Once I got the headers back off, took some rough measurements. Looks like I'll be cutting off 6" and 6.75" respectively.

Since I don't do much of any welding, I hacked the header and then sent them over to a buddy of mine who is a self proclaimed "hot rodder" to finish modifying them.

The Plan:

While my friend John has the headers, I'll get the transmission and driveshaft mounted up. Then, I'll roll it up the street to his garage where he will mock up some exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by E30Whore; 04-20-2016, 06:40 PM.
      My Garage
      09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
      09 E92 335i Msport
      09 E70 X5 4.8
      88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
      87 325i m50 swap
      87 325es

Comment

I am rather surprised.... $1000 headers and they dont fit consistently from one set to another AND they drop that low. I would be pissed. I was thinking about getting a set but think im gonna just to cutouts now :/
        Worlds 1st LS powered e30 cabby.
        Cab
        billac: 92 Lagunengrün cabriolet + cadillac LQ9 + Nitrous + rotiform SJC

Raphael: 88 Lagunengrün IX + Hella 500's + Red ACS type 1's

Shaggin Wagon
        : 01 325xiT 5 speed

91 MR2 GT3076TS + E85 = 505whp + antilag = wheelies
        88 CRX OEM+ 42mpg DD.

Comment

1000.00 a set is the reason why I made my own headers. 60.00 for flanges, 140.00 for V band flanges and 185.00 for pipe and a week worth of bitching. lol..

Comment

I can't tell you how discouraging it is to read this.....I can't believe after spending that kind of money they have to be modified to that degree. Would your buddy be interested in doing another set after yours?

Comment

Originally posted by 90e30ls View Post
              I can't tell you how discouraging it is to read this.....I can't believe after spending that kind of money they have to be modified to that degree. Would your buddy be interested in doing another set after yours?

Ok so I went back and looked at mine. It looks like I have a different set than yours
              Haven't tried fitting mine yet but maybe I will have a different story

Comment

Originally posted by bmk View Post
                I am rather surprised.... $1000 headers and they dont fit consistently from one set to another AND they drop that low. I would be pissed. I was thinking about getting a set but think im gonna just to cutouts now :/
                Originally posted by White325is View Post
                1000.00 a set is the reason why I made my own headers. 60.00 for flanges, 140.00 for V band flanges and 185.00 for pipe and a week worth of bitching. lol..
                You guys are exactly right! Trust me, I did a lot of bitching and showed my ass a few times but in the end, I don't want to bash them too much because they did make it right! We lost over 6 weeks of this build dealing with headers alone which is ridiculous, I expressed my concerns and reminded them of how much I spent with there company because I wanted the quality they advertise. They made the situation right by me and I cant complain.

The story I was given from Sikky..

"When we (Sikky) were smaller company, our quality control was top notch. As we grew, we started outsourcing a third party company in GA that mass produces our products and drop ships to the customer. Our quality has suffered (specifically aluminum drive shafts and headers) and now building a larger facility to handle all our own product, in house."

I have seen the new version of the E30 headers. They look good and obviously addressed the collector issue. Frankly, not everything from Sikky has been painless but the relationship I've built with them and the customer service they provide is worth the hassles. Its going to happen when building a car like this. I rather it be these guys then some arrogant asshat that wont stand buy the product the sell.

I'm also building a destroked LS7 to drop int a FD RX7. I can assure you I know where i'm buying all my swap parts from :D
                My Garage
                09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                09 E92 335i Msport
                09 E70 X5 4.8
                87 325i m50 swap
                87 325es

Comment

Ok so I went back and looked at mine. It looks like I have a different set than yours
                  Haven't tried fitting mine yet but maybe I will have a different story
                  What you have is the revised swap header. Those are the headers they are making in house at the new location in MD. You can clearly see the difference between your set and this set. Notice the 6'' of collector I had to hack is now missing from the revised set? lol

Click image for larger version

Name:	r3v14.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	7184780
                  My Garage
                  09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                  09 E92 335i Msport
                  09 E70 X5 4.8
                  87 325i m50 swap
                  87 325es

Comment

Is Sikky partially refunding everyone who received the older set or what? I had to mod mine as well. Not only that but got the wrong set of headers (1-7/8" with 3.5" collector) and received 3" v-band flanges with it, which suffice to say were useless.
                    Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

I'll ask John, I cant speak for him but I am also confident he will. PM me and we can workout the details. I'll post the finished product later on. We also made a pretty sick exhaust too. I am thinking of making a few more to offer other Sikky V8 swap guys that are running the swap headers.

Originally posted by Q8y_drifter View Post
                      Is Sikky partially refunding everyone who received the older set or what? I had to mod mine as well. Not only that but got the wrong set of headers (1-7/8" with 3.5" collector) and received 3" v-band flanges with it, which suffice to say were useless.
                      I have no idea and can't speak for them. This is why I was reluctant to even acknowledge that I was because i'm sure people will run to them over this comment. If you recall, I asked you in another thread if you had communicated your issues with Sikky and you said "no, I just modified them to work". In my experience, if you need a issue resolved, communicate it promptly, be understanding and most times all is worked out..
                      My Garage
                      09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                      09 E92 335i Msport
                      09 E70 X5 4.8
                      87 325i m50 swap
                      87 325es

Comment

God I would be pissed
                        1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                        COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap... (Pic Heavy)

New arrivals to project #shitbox

These came in, I immediately took them down to Unique Kar Kare in TN to coat the wheels. This not only adds to the high gloss/polish but it also will make maintaining and cleaning 100x easier. I like easy!

Square 16x9 CCW reps - $525 Delivered

Reason I liked these over other brands is the true 4lug. I can't stand multi lug wheels.

Because I'm broke and not a baller, I pulled out the only bill in my pocket....a good ole $5 to show off the lip. Don't hate! lol

Tire Rack came through with some 245/45/16 tires. It's a little meaty but suits the build. Your not going to find any "stance" here. Don't get me wrong, to each there own, it'll be low but it'll also be proper.

Rubber: Potenza RE-11 $949 shipped

Mounted and balanced = $80 bucks [emoji53]

Not pictured but I ordered a stud conversion kit from Bimmerworld that also arrived. They set me back $120 bucks however, I'm confident it will enhance the overall look of the fitment. Once installed, I'll let you guys be the judge..

SWAP METER: $22,970

Last edited by E30Whore; 04-21-2016, 07:16 PM.
                          My Garage
                          09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                          09 E92 335i Msport
                          09 E70 X5 4.8
                          87 325i m50 swap
                          87 325es

Comment

Originally posted by E30Whore View Post
                            What you have is the revised swap header. Those are the headers they are making in house at the new location in MD. You can clearly see the difference between your set and this set. Notice the 6'' of collector I had to hack is now missing from the revised set? lol

[ATTACH]106797[/ATTACH]

Ok I'm glad that I got the revised version!

Comment

Originally posted by E30Whore View Post
                              New arrivals to project #shitbox

These came in, I immediately took them down to Unique Kar Kare in TN to coat the wheels. This not only adds to the high gloss/polish but it also will make maintaining and cleaning 100x easier. I like easy!

Square 16x9 CCW reps - $525 Delivered

Reason I liked these over other brands is the true 4lug. I can't stand multi lug wheels.

Because I'm broke and not a baller, I pulled out the only bill in my pocket....a good ole $5 to show off the lip. Don't hate! lol

Tire Rack came through with some 245/45/16 tires. It's a little meaty but suits the build. Your not going to find any "stance" here. Don't get me wrong, to each there own, it'll be low but it'll also be proper.

Rubber: Potenza RE-11 $949 shipped

Mounted and balanced = $80 bucks [emoji53]

Not pictured but I ordered a stud conversion kit from Bimmerworld that also arrived. They set me back $120 bucks however, I'm confident it will enhance the overall look of the fitment. Once installed, I'll let you guys be the judge..

SWAP METER: $22,970

Looking forward to seeing these on the car. That's a lot of meat! Any mods To make them fit?

Comment

Looking forward to seeing these on the car. That's a lot of meat! Any mods To make them fit?

I currently have a metal guy modifying the fenders, pulling them out 2.25 inches in the front and 2.75 inches in the rear. I purchased the DTM flare kit but not happy with the look. I also have a ix body kit, still not happy. Metal work it is!

This is how she was sitting before I sent it off.. Metal worker is hitting the fenders and shaving the molding for me.

My Garage
                                09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                                09 E92 335i Msport
                                09 E70 X5 4.8
                                87 325i m50 swap
                                87 325es

Comment

Working...
                                X