Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap... (Pic Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow those look awesome! Would it be possible to have a side view?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap... (Pic Heavy)

While surfing Facebook recently, met another forum member who was moving away from his RX7 BBK because he purchase a new UUC BBK. After a few messages, we agreed on a price and 3 days later, BOOM!

Not a fan of the orange color the calibers are finished in, I'll have them refinished later on down the road. However, I'm pretty happy about the overall fit/finish and think these will look great behind the new wheels. Of course, I'm sure they will function well too. I'll be sure to give a formal review once I'm up and running.

In the mean time, some specs..

Rebuilt RX7 Turbo Calibers
      VW Colorado Drilled Rotors
      E30 Braking Solutions Bracket
      ECS Direct Fit Stainless Lines
      Stoptech Street Pads

Price: $425 Delivered

Shipped well packaged from another member. Greatly appreciated!

Rotors were larger than expected.

Now that these have arrived, broke open to box immediately to inspect the goods. All looks great. Let's get them installed!

After test fitting the rotors/calibers, I realized I had to cut the dust shield. Because I don't like cutting things, I just removed them all together. I'm not sure if this will have a negative effect but it sure does look cleaner. Check out the installed pictures. (Ignore the funky color combinations I have going on at the moment.)

Everything bolted right up, install went extremely smooth and I'm very pleased so far. Also took a few minutes to install the new studs. These calibers look massive!

I couldn't help it, I had to test fit the wheel before I mounted the rubber. Everything fits nicely. I really got lucky here because I didn't originally plan on going this route with my brakes. It was a impulse decision that paid off.

After testing out the rear fitment, no problems foreseen, time to mount and balance the wheels/tires.

Rear tires are snug but fit. Keep in mind I will be modifying my fenders so ignore the poor fitment for now. The fronts are even wider as they stick out by about 2" respectively and the rear sticks out about .5".

Got Meat!?

Keep in mind the Ground Control Coils aren't dialed in or adjusted yet. FYI

The RX7 BBK upgrade tucks away nicely behind these wheels and look great!

Today was a pretty straight forward, easy going day. All went well as the brakes, wheels and tires went together and installed without issue. I'll leave you guys with one more shot of the new brakes sitting comfortably at home behind the wheels.

SWAP METER: $23,395

Last edited by E30Whore; 04-24-2016, 08:15 PM.
      My Garage
      09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
      09 E92 335i Msport
      09 E70 X5 4.8
      88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
      87 325i m50 swap
      87 325es

Comment

My current situation.. [emoji15]

Ordered a rear bumper to mock up so we can build a new exhaust. Once we throw it on, I'll be taking the car up the street to my buddies building where he will put his expertise to use by building a new exhaust system.

My Garage
        09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
        09 E92 335i Msport
        09 E70 X5 4.8
        88 325es - Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=383423
        87 325i m50 swap
        87 325es

Comment

What et are the wheels
          ~original

Comment

Originally posted by jon2681 View Post
            What et are the wheels
            16x9 +0
            My Garage
            09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
            09 E92 335i Msport
            09 E70 X5 4.8
            87 325i m50 swap
            87 325es

Comment

You're getting close man!

e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by E30Whore View Post
                16x9 +0
                Thanks, Im finishing my ls1 swap too and was wanting wider wheels in back and i saw some just like those at fegenworks but et15.
                ~original

Comment

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                  You're getting close man!

So close! I am determined to drive this out the shop next week..

Originally posted by jon2681 View Post
                  Thanks, Im finishing my ls1 swap too and was wanting wider wheels in back and i saw some just like those at fegenworks but et15.
                  Awesome! I hope your swap went smoother than mine lol. I have to run a 2.5mm spacer up front to clear the calipers otherwise, I think they look great!
                  My Garage
                  09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                  09 E92 335i Msport
                  09 E70 X5 4.8
                  87 325i m50 swap
                  87 325es

Comment

Not Another Cheap V8 Swap...

MTech2 Rear Bumper from DTM Fiberwerkz arrived. Was thrown on (poorly) just to gauge muffler position.

Headers look MUCH better now that they are properly sized. T56 is securely in place and the Sikky aluminum drive shaft went in without issue. Here's a few pix...

$495 bucks worth of stainless piping and a Magnaflow muffler, 8 hours of cutting, grinding, sanding and measuring resulted in this..

I still need to smooth out some of the welds and weld in the 02 bungs but this is where we left off. My buddy John has given me some solid lessons in welding 101. I may be biased but I like it! [emoji106]

Ran the piping as high and straight as possible for good flow while maintaining good ground clearance.

We made some new hangers to secure the exhaust.

Wasn't sure how this would look but was trying to go for a "///M3 style" look with the muffler slightly canted upwards. I'm not 100% sold on it just yet. Let me know your thoughts? I feel solid on the choice of tips though.

DTM Fiberwerkz MTech2 Rear Bumper: $385 Delivered

Custom Exhaust utilizing Stainless Steel: $495

Labor: $350

I should take this to Sikky in Maryland and charge them to mass produce it with there swap headers [emoji16]

SWAP METER $24,625
                    Last edited by E30Whore; 04-26-2016, 08:12 PM.
                    My Garage
                    09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                    09 E92 335i Msport
                    09 E70 X5 4.8
                    87 325i m50 swap
                    87 325es

Comment

The exhaust came out great, what size is it?.... I cant wait to see a video of your car.
                      First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Any reason you did two full pipes all the way down? Mine is dual 3s into a 4 inch all the way back.

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
                          The exhaust came out great, what size is it?.... I cant wait to see a video of your car.
                          Thanks z28! We ran two 2.25" pipes all the way back. Im concerned it may be too loud but i have another muffler. Plan is to cut this one out and run two mufflers side by side, sitting vertically if this one is to obnoxious. Another forum member is flying in from Cali next week, the plan is to wrap this up so I hope to have vid for you soon.

Originally posted by shiboujin View Post
                          Any reason you did two full pipes all the way down? Mine is dual 3s into a 4 inch all the way back.
                          I had seen your setup when reserchng the exhaust and almost copied it exactly. I am no exhaust expert so I printed it and showed my buddy John. He felt that since this was a N/A car with ground clearance issues and no plans to force induce it that we should maintain the dual setup. He is a old school hot rod guy and build stuff like this for a living for some real nice cars that far exceed mine.

In his opinion, this design would not only maintain better ground clearance, sound smoother and provide necessary back pressure needed for the built V8. I went with him on this and what I have now is the result. Once I start it, I'll let you what I think. I do like your setup though. It looks real good also!

My only concern now is sound levels but That will be easier to address later. Right now i'm just focused on first start and getting this thing to move under its own power. I am really getting tired of pushing it around.
                          My Garage
                          09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                          09 E92 335i Msport
                          09 E70 X5 4.8
                          87 325i m50 swap
                          87 325es

Comment

I would of done 2.5 inch to have more room to grow when you get more power, but its great either way. You should add an x-pipe to it though to make it sound more sporty and less muscle car-ish.

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
                              I would of done 2.5 inch to have more room to grow when you get more power, but its great either way. You should add an x-pipe to it though to make it sound more sporty and less muscle car-ish.

Will the X pipe accomplish that on its own? A smoother/sportier sound is what I'm going for. Not an obnoxious muscle car sound
                              My Garage
                              09 Mini Cooper S (Daily)
                              09 E92 335i Msport
                              09 E70 X5 4.8
                              87 325i m50 swap
                              87 325es

Comment

The x pipe will give it a more modern v8 sound with a little higher pitch, plus some extra ponies also.

Comment

Working...
                                X