• Show
Clear All

• blck325is
    replied
    Nice excited to see how this goes!

Leave a comment:

• Jean
    replied
    Crazy! I hated that engine so much in my brothers 03 540i 6speed m-sport (with the water cooled alternator, and rattling vanos and crappy single row timing guide :(

Subscribed!

Leave a comment:

• JoeMadoo
    started a topic M62TU swap

M62TU swap

Hey r3v, I decided to share some pictures and info of my M62TU swap in progress. I don't see this motor being swapped very often so there isn't much info out there.

Background: My 86 325es has been M30 swapped since 2007, turbocharged in 2009 (video link, video link), and un-turbocharged in 2011 in an effort to pass the CA BAR. The car sat for years until I actually passed the bar in March, 2016. I then decided that n/a M30 power was not enough power for me.

I bought a package deal that included an M62TU and 6 speed originally from a 2001 E39 540i. Also included Garagistic motor mount brackets, manifolds, and a wilwood pedal assembly. This motor was completely gone thru and used in a E28 for roughly 4k miles according to the PO.

I am building this car to be a fun and functional weekend driver. I plan to have heat but no A/C, functioning OBD2, and manual wilwood pedals with big brakes which I will cover in this thread.

Engine Pictures:

Engine bay after M30 and sound deadening removal.

After hours of removing the core support, filling holes, priming, and laying down bed-liner.

Engine sits in there pretty nicely. However, it is off-center by about a half-inch. I am using garagistic motor mount brackets on M60 mounts, which is what they recommend. However, if I were to shift the motor over a half inch, the alternator would be right on the frame rail.

Rear of engine. I am using the position that mounts the motor farther forward in the engine bay for the time being. I would like to be able to access the heater core hoses if need be. Not sure what this will look like up front yet.

Drivers side garagistic manifolds, X5 (or maybe e39, I need to check and see) oil lines and filter housing, air cooled alternator (M62TUs came with water cooled units and a completely different timing cover)

Passenger side manifold. The PO modified these for E28 fitment. These extra lenghts hit the passenger side floor board and need to be modified back to how garagistic does them.

The hardest part of this swap from what I've gathered is the wiring. Basically I am treating this like an s62 as far as that goes. There is no C101. These two plugs on the ECU will connect to the E30's C101 connector, fuel pump relay, OBD2 connector, etc.

Had my ECU tuned for an M60 manifold and the EWS removed by Kassel. Also had the upstream cat, o2 monitors, and air pump monitors removed.

More to come...
    Last edited by JoeMadoo; 11-21-2017, 10:36 PM. Reason: grammar and correcting some info
Working...
X