Clutch trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch trouble

So, I ordered a stage 1 South Bend clutch for a 6 cylinder ZF Car so I can run the E34 530i transmission... I'm running a E39 M62 flywheel... the dusk hits the flange on the flywheel and the friction material doesn't touch the flywheel face... wtf is going on here? Do I have to run a different disk? I thought the E36/E39 6cyl ZF clutches are what you have to use with the E39 flywheel?
    1985 325e -> M60 swap project
    1983 GTV6
    1974 X1/9

Originally posted by Italian_Tuneup View Post
    So, I ordered a stage 1 South Bend clutch for a 6 cylinder ZF Car so I can run the E34 530i transmission... I'm running a E39 M62 flywheel... the dusk hits the flange on the flywheel and the friction material doesn't touch the flywheel face... wtf is going on here? Do I have to run a different disk? I thought the E36/E39 6cyl ZF clutches are what you have to use with the E39 flywheel?
    Well, so now evidently when I search, I can find the threads that say that the M62 flywheel, while the correct diameter disk, has that stupid GD lip on it, so you can't run the correct clutch. So I guess now I have to figure out whats the best option. Buy a B30 clutch and canibalize the disk, or fork out $$$ for a flywheel. The clutch I got is for a E36 non M... rated at 295 torque.... if I get the TTV flywheel, can I use that clutch, or did I waste that money too?
    1983 GTV6
    1974 X1/9

Comment

I thought the E34 540i used a 260mm clutch. The E39 V8s went back to a 240mm clutch.

Did South Bend use the 260mm disk for their ZF performance clutch? The 320Z and 420G transmissions don't have the same input spline, do they?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
        I thought the E34 540i used a 260mm clutch. The E39 V8s went back to a 240mm clutch.

Did South Bend use the 260mm disk for their ZF performance clutch? The 320Z and 420G transmissions don't have the same input spline, do they?
        No, the 420g uses a different input spline than the 320z, causing the trouble. The B30 used a 240mm clutch and I guess the wisdom was that you could use the 6 cyl ZF trans cars clutches to get the correct spline count, but their disks were 240mm so the E39 M62 flywheel was the one to use since it was also setup for 240mm. The rub, literally is that stupid lip on the flywheel. The 6 cylinder disks don't have the disk clearanced so they hit that rather than the face of the flywheel. I have found M60b30 clutch disk only for $230, but don't' know if South Bend is getting their 295 torque rating from the clamping power on the pressure plate, or from the disk itself. I'd rather spend $230 on the B30 disk and use the SB pressure plate than shell out the bucks for the custom flywheel. I don't really want a lightweight flywheel on this, my wife will drive it occasionanny too, and she'd never be able to deal with a stall-happy mill like that. Plus I bought all this stuff over a year ago, so if it doesn't work, I'll be taking a bath selling it on craigslist.
        1983 GTV6
        1974 X1/9

Comment

Well, so now evidently when I search, I can find the threads that say that the M62 flywheel, while the correct diameter disk, has that stupid GD lip on it, so you can't run the correct clutch. So I guess now I have to figure out whats the best option. Buy a B30 clutch and canibalize the disk, or fork out $$$ for a flywheel. The clutch I got is for a E36 non M... rated at 295 torque.... if I get the TTV flywheel, can I use that clutch, or did I waste that money too?
          I just went through this same issue. I have the JB racing flywheel with a SB e36m3 stage 2 clutch and SB 328i pressure plate. I had to mix and match clutch kits to get this setup but south bend assures me it will work. Your problem is that lip on the e39 stock flywheel. Options are like you said go lightweight or find another clutch setup.
          1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

I don't really want a lightweight flywheel on this, my wife will drive it occasionanny too, and she'd never be able to deal with a stall-happy mill like that.
            Do you have a B40 engine? As long as you stick with an organic disk and have good low RPM torque (which is the whole reason for a V8 swap, right?) it'll be fine with a lightweight flywheel.

I have a Northstar Fiero, which is similar engine size, weight and gearing to a V8 E30. The stock V6 flywheel that I adapted is 14#. It was never an issue.

I'm not familiar with the "lip" you're talking about. Pics? Can you have a machine shop modify the flywheel?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Do you have a B40 engine? As long as you stick with an organic disk and have good low RPM torque (which is the whole reason for a V8 swap, right?) it'll be fine with a lightweight flywheel.

I have a Northstar Fiero, which is similar engine size, weight and gearing to a V8 E30. The stock V6 flywheel that I adapted is 14#. It was never an issue.

I'm not familiar with the "lip" you're talking about. Pics? Can you have a machine shop modify the flywheel?
              Unfortunately I can't get photos to upload because they are too large and I'm too dumb to figure out how to change their size on my phone. I don't think it can be machined, there would not be a lot of material left there.
              1983 GTV6
              1974 X1/9

Comment

I went through this like 8 years ago and posted about it here. I ended up going with a UUC flywheel.

Your cheapest option is probably the b30 disc. As far as I know, the organic material on the "stage 1" clutch discs from most manufacturers is basically the same material as stock. The increased torque rating comes from the clamping force of the pressure plate.

Hopefully you have better luck than I did. With a Clutchmasters stage 1 e36 328i kit, it started slipping after a few thousand miles. I switched to a Spec stage 1, but ended up swapping to 6 speed before I could put any serious miles on it.

If you go the lightweight flywheel route, make sure you tell the clutch manufacturer you want a sprung hub disc. They all make them, even if they don't have them listed on their website.

FYI, the m62 lightweight flywheels are ~18lbs... That's as heavy as an m20 single mass. It doesn't drive like a car with a lightweight flywheel at all. I can take off from a stop without touching the gas pedal. Funny story, I had to do this once on a steep hill. My throttle cable broke, and I was stopped at a traffic light in a busy intersection, of course on a hill. Light turned green, I slowly let out the clutch in first gear, and the car idled up the hill and through the intersection... slowly haha.
                85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
                e30 restoration and V8 swap
                24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Originally posted by JGood View Post
                  I went through this like 8 years ago and posted about it here. I ended up going with a UUC flywheel.

Your cheapest option is probably the b30 disc. As far as I know, the organic material on the "stage 1" clutch discs from most manufacturers is basically the same material as stock. The increased torque rating comes from the clamping force of the pressure plate.

Hopefully you have better luck than I did. With a Clutchmasters stage 1 e36 328i kit, it started slipping after a few thousand miles. I switched to a Spec stage 1, but ended up swapping to 6 speed before I could put any serious miles on it.

If you go the lightweight flywheel route, make sure you tell the clutch manufacturer you want a sprung hub disc. They all make them, even if they don't have them listed on their website.

FYI, the m62 lightweight flywheels are ~18lbs... That's as heavy as an m20 single mass. It doesn't drive like a car with a lightweight flywheel at all. I can take off from a stop without touching the gas pedal. Funny story, I had to do this once on a steep hill. My throttle cable broke, and I was stopped at a traffic light in a busy intersection, of course on a hill. Light turned green, I slowly let out the clutch in first gear, and the car idled up the hill and through the intersection... slowly haha.
                  I talked to South Bend Clutch, they're swapping me a B30 disk for shipping only, they confirmed that it should be good for 300 torque with the B30 disk and the pressure plate I already have. Hooray for good customer service.
                  1983 GTV6
                  1974 X1/9

Comment

Update on this, South Bend sent the M60B30 clutch disk, fits like a glove and clears the B44 flywheel perfectly. M50 stage 2 pressure plate is bolted up and the trans is ready to mate. Have to finish some brake line nonsense in the engine bay and then this hog is going in.
                    1983 GTV6
                    1974 X1/9

Comment

Working...
                    X