Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.3ls in E30 overheating

Having issues with cooling.

i have a 3core e30 radiator remounted farther forward and lower. I have a 2quart fill tank mounted high on the left rear of engine bay. The steam tubes are routed into the overflow tube AND BACK TO THE FILL TANK. I am not running a thermostat. The engine overheats even with the fans running. When I feel the radiator, it is cool. Obviously, I have a air bubble. The question is,: How to remove it . The bubble is in the top hose between the pump and the radiator, I think. I am about out of ideas for getting this thing to cool. Any ideas?

Well, is the water pump actually working? Have you continued to fill the system to overflowing as you run the engine, perhaps from both the overflow and the radiator cap (should yours have one of course)? Is the overflow absolutely the highest point in the cooling system? Perhaps try changing the angle of the vehicle relative to level as you bleed the system, both front down and front up.

So many unknowns, but systems will bleed if liquid is circulating and air has a chance to be displaced/escape to the highest point without getting trapped by a restriction or siphon effect.

Comment

Overall pics of the engine bay?

Is your bleed line uphill all the way to the fill tank or does it have a low spot?

Comment

Yes,I have already replaced the water pup. Bleed line is uphill. Took some pics, but too many hoops to jump to put in here.

Comment

When you filled it with coolant did you fill the engine first by pouring coolant into the upper radiator hose until it was completely full? That is how everyone says to fill the ls with coolant.
          1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
          COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by mzracer13 View Post
            Took some pics, but too many hoops to jump to put in here.
            Do you want help or not?

Comment

Is your fill tank a pressurized SURGE tank or just an overflow? Where are you filling the system from? The fill point obviously needs to be the highest point so if your tank isn't a surge tank you're going to air lock wherever you're filling from. You could use a vacuum filler to fill it, but you won't be able to check the fluid level if that's the case. With no t-stat and still air locking it sounds like your fill point isn't the highest point.

Comment

My water pump was sitting higher than the radiator. I drilled and tapped a port in the top of the water pump and ran a hose to the top of the radiator to let air out from the water pump. Centrifugal pumps are no good at moving air....
                Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                Check us out
                Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Lol... *cough* TURBO *cough*

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                    When you filled it with coolant did you fill the engine first by pouring coolant into the upper radiator hose until it was completely full? That is how everyone says to fill the ls with coolant.
                    That worked

Comment

1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Working...
                      X