Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malachite M60 first drive! I blew it up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you suspect VSS, you can always fake/test it by wiring the tach/cluster output with the ECU's VSS input.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

More weird VSS stuff. So I was screwing around checking out my secondary diff mount... which I don't think will work. Thats another story. In the process I unplugged the speed sensor harness from the diff. Messed around with other stuff for a couple weeks, forgot about it. Hooked up my fuel pressure regulator, capped off the spare port and went for a drive. Immediately thought, Holy crap this is great, no more RPM hang, nice off-throttle deceleration. Then I noticed my speedometer wasn't working. Remembered what I did, but still attributed the better driveability to the FPR and no more vacuum leak. Then it would die rolling to a stop at stoplights. Then it wouldn't idle at all. I thought, this must be VSS related. Got back to the garage plugged in the sensor. Immediately, i got my idle back, and also the F**KING RPM's HANG AGAIN. I thought that was supposed to be a symptom of no vehicle speed input, not having an input. I noticed too that my econometer is always pegged at zero. Which doesn't make sense... it should be wrong, not pegged with the V8, right?
      1985 325e -> M60 swap project
      1983 GTV6
      1974 X1/9

Comment

Decided to change where I was getting my speed signal from, I redid my wiring and now I am taking it from the green plug on the back of the cluster. At first take, I thought aha, this is it it's fixed. But once warmed up, the hanging revs came back. It is better now, I can decelerate and feel fuel cut fairly quickly, and higher rpm upshifts don;t hang, but if I accelerate moderately and upshift at say 3000 rpm, they just hang there when shifting. For the hell of it, I decided to undo the wire for the speed signal and things only got moderately worse. It's driveable but this is annoying the shit out of me. Still have weird stuff wit the econometer too... the only time it moves off zero is if the IAC has to react to something to bump the rpms.... sitting still, cranking the wheel and loading up the ps pump for example. You can hear the whoosh of the IAC reacting and the econometer will flip up to 40, then right back at zero unless the IAC is reacting. I don't understand that at all.

Does the DME look at what vehicle speed is and control engine function differently, or is it just looking for "moving yes/no" ?
        1983 GTV6
        1974 X1/9

Comment

Finally got my check engine light figured out... fuel pump relay feedback code, which makes sense. What's frustrating there, is that code is present because the DME won't trigger the damn thing, so I bypassed it. Maybe I will go back and try again, but it'c clearly seeing no continuity on the relay circuit but why won't it also trigger? Rev hang seems to be getting better after a few drives.. DME adjusting some things while on closed loop?
          1983 GTV6
          1974 X1/9

Comment

Finally feel confident in my wheel bearing tweaks and have the cooling issues mostly sorted. Trying the aluminum surge tank now after another froth-over situation. Hopefully that fixes it, or at least keeps the coolant from puking down through the coil covers and shorting out one of the plugs. Took advantage of the nice weather here and got a pic of the "finished" product, although there's still a little paint correction needed and some other cleanup, plus getting the AC hooked up and working, but I at least have all my custom hoses now.

1983 GTV6
            1974 X1/9

Comment

Well evidently I am still retarded and can't figure out how to post a fucking photo. JFC
              1983 GTV6
              1974 X1/9

Comment

Originally posted by Italian_Tuneup View Post
                Well evidently I am still retarded and can't figure out how to post a fucking photo. JFC
                Well figure it out. I want to see. 🤪 Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Well here is the link to the photo on my google drive. However TF you get that to embed in the body of the message, I don't know. I'm 40 and I'm too old for this crap. Wish I could just upload it to the forum, but I understand they don't want to have to store everyones crap.

1983 GTV6
                  1974 X1/9

Comment

Here ya go Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Love that color man! Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Car looks good. Glad things are starting to get ironed out. Where in Tacoma are you? Can't say I've seen your car around.
                        84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
                        Manual swap all the things!

Comment

zukgod1, thanks for posting that image from the link. I got it to work once in the test page, need to figure it out again. Iansane, I am in the north end, off proctor. Car has only been on the road for a couple weeks besides a couple test runs back in July. I got it in Sept 2018 as a non-running Arctis Automatic. Took it to a bare shell, full repaint, full new suspension plus all the swap stuff. Took a while! As soon as we get a Griots event again, or something resembling an e30 picnic I'll have it there. Need to do more color correction on it this winter, I did a shitty job color sanding the hood and trunk.
                          1983 GTV6
                          1974 X1/9

Comment

Well it took a big dump today... took it to work on our last "summer" day up here in the PNW... made a right turn and gassed it a little... backed off it to get traction and when I went back into the throttle there was nothing. Though my cable came off at first but quickly realized it was dead. Coasted to the shoulder. No fuel pumps, fuses and relays checked out. I could feel the relay clicking though. Got a ride on the back of a Hino tow truck to home. Relays don't click anymore, as if the ECU isn;t doing anything. But I can jump the fuel pump relay output from a known hot and get the pumps to fire, so that makes no sense that they weren't going when I could feel the relay clicking when I keyed it. But now the relays won't fire at all. Bad ground, dead short or a dead DME.... i guess I have my winter project now.
                            1983 GTV6
                            1974 X1/9

Comment

Working...
                            X