Big tune up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big tune up

My 87 325E has been running fine but it has been a bit neglected for an engine with 300K miles in it. It doesn't have any specific problems but I'm thinking I should be doing more to extend the longevity of the car. Besides long-term care and longevity I have the more pressing issue of driving the car on a 2000-mile trip. So without a specific issue in mind my question is about what things can I do before (or after, but ideally before) the roadtrip to improve the general condition of the car? I'm not thinking about aesthetics at the moment.

I've made a list of things I think I could do to my car, but I wanted to run it by you to see if I should add or remove anything from this list:

Engine oil and filter change
    sparkplugs and ignition wires
    clean K&N air filter
    Clean charcoal canister
    Clean ICV and throttle body
    Test Ignition Coil (I wrote this on the list a long time ago and now i don't know what that means exatly)
    Transmission/differential fluid (manual transmission)
    Clean fuel injectors
    Test fuel pressure
    Compression test?

About cleaning fuel injectors: I've had the car for 11 years and I've never cleaned them. Should I ship them to have them professionally cleaned and tested, or should I clean them myself with some brake cleaner?

Anything else I should add to the list? I'm also planning on taking the car to the shop for some suspension work (control arms, specifically). I'm hoping this thread will be useful to anyone thinking about the long term care of their E30.

I would ditch the K&N in favor of a stock Mahle or Mann paper filter. Contrary to popular myth, the paper filters both flow at least as much air, and definitely stop a lot more particulate crud.

For the injectors, I recommend having a professional do it. They will toss them into an ultrasonic bath while pulsing them with pressurized cleaner, replace the filter screens, pintle caps and o-rings. My recommendation is Sssquid tuning, who will also provide flow numbers so you know how well the injectors are matched. Pricing is super reasonable too.

You could also double check your valve and ignition timing, just in case the timing belt has stretched a bit since it was last changed.

Transaction Feedback: LINK

Comment

For a trip like that, add coolant flush, hoses and belts. How long since the timing belt was changed? Water pump? Closely inspect the tires. How about the brake hoses? Fuel lines?
      2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by marsgorski View Post
        My 87 325E has been running fine but it has been a bit neglected for an engine with 300K miles in it. It doesn't have any specific problems but I'm thinking I should be doing more to extend the longevity of the car. Besides long-term care and longevity I have the more pressing issue of driving the car on a 2000-mile trip. So without a specific issue in mind my question is about what things can I do before (or after, but ideally before) the roadtrip to improve the general condition of the car? I'm not thinking about aesthetics at the moment.

I've made a list of things I think I could do to my car, but I wanted to run it by you to see if I should add or remove anything from this list:

Engine oil and filter change
        sparkplugs and ignition wires
        clean K&N air filter
        Clean charcoal canister
        Clean ICV and throttle body
        Test Ignition Coil (I wrote this on the list a long time ago and now i don't know what that means exatly)
        Transmission/differential fluid (manual transmission)
        Clean fuel injectors
        Test fuel pressure
        Compression test?

About cleaning fuel injectors: I've had the car for 11 years and I've never cleaned them. Should I ship them to have them professionally cleaned and tested, or should I clean them myself with some brake cleaner?

Anything else I should add to the list? I'm also planning on taking the car to the shop for some suspension work (control arms, specifically). I'm hoping this thread will be useful to anyone thinking about the long term care of their E30.
        Please tell me more on how to clean charocal canister?

Comment

Originally posted by ADEN View Post

Please tell me more on how to clean charocal canister?
          See this thread and search for "charcoal" using your browser search function.

Comment

Originally posted by marsgorski View Post

See this thread and search for "charcoal" using your browser search function.
            I don't like to be an a$$$$$$, but Do you call cutting the canister and replacing the charcoal with new one CLEANING?

Comment

Working...
            X