Cold Run Controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Run Controller

I just imported a Touring from Germany with an M40 engine in it. It has a device on the engine that says: "Twin-Tec KLR BM03 KBA 16866".

I did some digging and found out that it is a device called a Cold Run Controller. It does something that allows the Germans to get a discount on insurance or something.

I have attached a document that describes what this thing is. I'll too lazy to type this whole thing into Google Translate. Does anyone speak German here and tell me what this thing does?
    Attached Files

From just looking at the words I understand I think it prevents you from driving until the catalyst is warmed up.

Comment

It doesn't seem to prevent anything. The car still starts and drives fine.

It appears to be some sort of vacuum device that is tee'd into a vacuum line. It must be increasing and decreasing the amount of air being sent into the engine sump breathing system. I don't see any electrical connections to it. It is completely vacuum operated.

It you google the part numbers above, you find that these parts are readily available in Germany, for any BMW with an M40 engine.

Comment

It is to help with cold start emissions. Cars of the era didn't have cold start regulations and apparently the ever-stricter European emission standards "euro-1" wasn't applicable until the mid 90s. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...sion_standards
        '84 318i M10B18 147- Safari Beige
        NA: 93whp/90ftlbs, MS2E w/ LC, 2-Step
        Turbo: 221whp/214ftlbs, MS3x flex @ 17psi

Comment

Working...
        X