Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump trouble

Hey all,

I started my 85' 318i this morning and it started fine then about an hour later I went to start up the car but it would n t start. I believe its the fuel pump or some sort of electrical because when I went to start it I did not hear the buzz of the fuel pump and then it started for a second then died right after then would not start. I already checked the fuses and also the ground and power cables that go to the pump. Also, the pump is only 5-6 months old. What do you think it could be?

Anything helps!
    -Travis

Others with more diagnostic experience will hopefully chime in, but start with this: Remove the back seat and check for sure whether the pump is buzzing or not. Since you've already checked the fuses, if it's not buzzing, jiggle the wires around the pump and see if you can make it start buzzing. If you still have nothing, try powering it externally to see if it will buzz.

Cory
    1992 325i Cabrio
    1988 320i Touring
    2000 M5
    1977 530i
    2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
    BMWCCA
    E30CCA

Comment

You can easily bypass the fuel pump relay to check whether the pump is working or not. Just find the relay, check the diagram (carefully), and jump the pins for the load side, it should come on. If it doesn't, then you've got a fuel pump or fuel pump wiring issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tjclemens2 View Post
        Hey all,

I started my 85' 318i this morning and it started fine then about an hour later I went to start up the car but it would n t start. I believe its the fuel pump or some sort of electrical because when I went to start it I did not hear the buzz of the fuel pump and then it started for a second then died right after then would not start. I already checked the fuses and also the ground and power cables that go to the pump. Also, the pump is only 5-6 months old. What do you think it could be?

Anything helps!
        -Travis
        If you tested the pump (jumped) as mentioned and the pump is working but it is not working when cranking then suspect your crank sensor not sending a good signal.

Comment

Working...
        X