Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing R12 AC system that doesn't blow cold air, empty before removing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing R12 AC system that doesn't blow cold air, empty before removing?

My car currently has the original R12 AC system. It does not blow cold air. I have a complete R134a system to install in the car, but I was thinking that I should get the R12 refrigerant properly removed before disassembling the AC system.

I haven't been able to find a local shop that still has the equipment to handle R12. But then I wondered if I needed to bother with removing R12 from the system?

The question is: if the AC isn't blowing cold, is there any refrigerant in the system?

If I do need to have the R12 sucked out, does anyone know of a shop in the PNW (between Tacoma and Bellingham) that still handles R12? I've made a few calls locally, but came up empty.

Thanks

Search Craigslist . I found a retired mechanic that worked on r12 systems . Ended up all I needed was a recharge and he recharged it . Icy cold much better than converting .

Comment

As a starting point, suggest you hook some A/C manifold gauges onto the car.
      That way you can tell if you've actually got any pressure (and theoretically R12) in the system.

Otherwise you may have a leak and lost all your R12 to the Ozone layer...

E30 320i vert
      But daily drive is Volvo V60 Polestar

Comment

Originally posted by Tzantushka View Post
        As a starting point, suggest you hook some A/C manifold gauges onto the car.
        That way you can tell if you've actually got any pressure (and theoretically R12) in the system.

Otherwise you may have a leak and lost all your R12 to the Ozone layer...

It's pretty likely that there is no R12 left in the system. Here's an easy way to find out: Take the cap off of the schrader fill fitting. Quickly touch the center protruding post. This will open the valve and if there is any R12 left, it will hiss at you. If there is no hiss, you have no R12.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post

It's pretty likely that there is no R12 left in the system. Here's an easy way to find out: Take the cap off of the schrader fill fitting. Quickly touch the center protruding post. This will open the valve and if there is any R12 left, it will hiss at you. If there is no hiss, you have no R12.

Thanks, this is the perfect easy way to check!

There was no hiss, so no R12 in the system!

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X