Burning smell from rear drivers wheel/tire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Burning smell from rear drivers wheel/tire

Got done driving to bowling alley last night and was greeted with an awful hair burning like smell. Kind of like clutch definitely not coolant or oil burring. Most acute in the rear drivers wheel, seemed like it was throwing off heat. Seems to me i'm dealing with an E brake stuck on or a stuck caliper? maybe just severely worn pads, although they didn't squeak. I'm gonna check her out tomorrow (Weds) seeing if you think I'm on the right track.

Originally posted by calypso rot View Post
    Got done driving to bowling alley last night and was greeted with an awful hair burning like smell. Kind of like clutch definitely not coolant or oil burring. Most acute in the rear drivers wheel, seemed like it was throwing off heat. Seems to me i'm dealing with an E brake stuck on or a stuck caliper? maybe just severely worn pads, although they didn't squeak. I'm gonna check her out tomorrow (Weds) seeing if you think I'm on the right track.
    what's the car ?

check your e-brake.

Comment

1990 325i 2 door manual trans. Yup E brake was my first thought. I'll look into it later this week.

Comment

1990 325i 2 door manual trans. Yup E brake was my first thought. I'll look into it later this week.
        check the cable to see if the e-brake backed off. sometimes a yank on the thing will release them. i had a stuck cable on mine. it's not always the e-brake itself, the cable sheath is able to deteriorate enough to hold the cable internally, which locks the brake.

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'm "working" from home today, I may have some time to take a look - will update with my findings.

Comment

I haven’t been able to replicate symptoms. Rotors no scoring and pads are okay. Could I have had the e brake partially engaged during my trip?

Comment

I haven’t been able to replicate symptoms. Rotors no scoring and pads are okay. Could I have had the e brake partially engaged during my trip?
              Did you remove the rear rotor to look at the internal drum brake system and cable end?

Comment

check the above post. your rear disc brakes have zero to do with the e30 parking brake.

edit for clarity : your e30 parking brake lives inside the hat of the rotor disc. you won't see it by removing the wheels alone. it's like a mini drum brake.

Comment

Working...
                X