Windows slow to roll up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows slow to roll up

Trying to diagnose what’s failing with my windows rolling up, is there a way to determine if it’s the motor vs regulator? They still roll up all the way, they’re just slow at doing so. I read I should try and grease the tracks, but I cannot find any pictures of the areas to grease. Anyone have pictures of a regulator and can point out where I should try to grease before I start replacing parts?
    89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
    89’ 325i Cabrio Alpine Weiss II
    90’ 325is Schwarz

The first thing to do is determine if you have scissors type regulators or cable type. If your car is 1988 or earlier, you most likely have cable driven and they get gunked up and slow for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by packratbimmer View Post
      The first thing to do is determine if you have scissors type regulators or cable type. If your car is 1988 or earlier, you most likely have cable driven and they get gunked up and slow for sure.
      I have the scissor type forsure, I’ve had the door panel off for a few days doing other work in there.
      89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
      90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

Well if it's the scissor type you can just grease the joint in the middle.
        I'm not sure if the teeth need to be dry or greased, maybe someone else can make an educated recommendation.

And the motor can be cleaned and greased as well, but you have to take it out and disassemble it.
        Be careful not to drop the glass when you take the motor out, there's a lot of guides out there on how to do it.

Then there are also guides on how to disassemble the motor and grease the worm gear and clean the bushing on the other end of the rotor shaft.
        You'll understand once you see the videos and inside your motor.

Also the seals around the window itself, the rubber part in which the glass part moves up and down, should be clean and without grease, that will just trap dirt and scrape the glass.

The motor should spin with good torque once it's clean and greased up.
        Also the regulator should be ease to move by hand, without the glass on it, just to be sure it's fine.

If it's still slow after all that, then my guess is it's electrical.
        Maybe a wire somewhere has been torn and it connected by a few strands. You could check resistance with a multimeter to find the rip but start from the easy stuff, then make your way to harder stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by hozzziii View Post
          Well if it's the scissor type you can just grease the joint in the middle.
          I'm not sure if the teeth need to be dry or greased, maybe someone else can make an educated recommendation.

And the motor can be cleaned and greased as well, but you have to take it out and disassemble it.
          Be careful not to drop the glass when you take the motor out, there's a lot of guides out there on how to do it.

Then there are also guides on how to disassemble the motor and grease the worm gear and clean the bushing on the other end of the rotor shaft.
          You'll understand once you see the videos and inside your motor.

Also the seals around the window itself, the rubber part in which the glass part moves up and down, should be clean and without grease, that will just trap dirt and scrape the glass.

The motor should spin with good torque once it's clean and greased up.
          Also the regulator should be ease to move by hand, without the glass on it, just to be sure it's fine.

If it's still slow after all that, then my guess is it's electrical.
          Maybe a wire somewhere has been torn and it connected by a few strands. You could check resistance with a multimeter to find the rip but start from the easy stuff, then make your way to harder stuff.
          Yesterday I greased the regulator in 2 different areas, on the teeth and on the flat face of the sprocket looking part of the regulator. It noticeably helped. They still are a little slow to go up, but going down I would say is normal speed. I’m going to try and grease the motor a little bit too. Thanks for the help.
          89’ 325i Coupe Schwarz
          90’ 325is Schwarz

Comment

Yeah that sounds like the motor should be cleaned and greased.
            Just don't drop the glass.

Comment

Try cleaning out the old grease from the rollers that go in the slotted rails below the glass. I usually use white lithium grease there.

Comment

Working...
              X