Steering Column Trim / Ignition Lock Housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Column Trim / Ignition Lock Housing

Hello, I didn't see an appropriate sub-forum for this topic so hopefully it's ok to submit here... I noticed my steering column trim piece is not level (clocked to the left) and heard something rubbing within. Upon disassembly, I discovered the ignition lock housing is rotated to the left and there is no way to level it- It slides into teeth at the end of the steering shaft column/housing, which is held in place by security bolts and not able to be rotated at all. Therefore, I'm left with an ignition lock housing and the column trim that attaches to it looking crooked. Perhaps this is just how it is on all e30s? I didn't notice it on my previous e30. Looking online it's hard to find a perfect picture but it seems some are not rotated to the left as mine is. Any suggestions or observations greatly appreciated! Few pictures attached to demonstrate. The 3rd picture (ignore yellow circles) is one I found online and it appears that the ignition lock housing is parallel to the dash (unlike mine)

Click image for larger version  Name:	e30 dash 2.png Views:	0 Size:	155.5 KB ID:	10096823
    Click image for larger version  Name:	e30 dash.png Views:	0 Size:	180.1 KB ID:	10096824
    Click image for larger version

Name:	e30 dash 3.png
Views:	62
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	10096825

look for something called a fracture bolt. think it was designed to break in event of an accident. it may have degraded and let go. it holds your housing and column tube in place.

Comment

Working...
    X