Instrument cluster light + speedo failed + weird electrical issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument cluster light + speedo failed + weird electrical issues

Hey guys, bare with me here I just got into E30s and don't really know what I am doing.

Recently bought a '90 325i convertible with unknown milage. Drove it back 2 hours no issues last week.

was driving 2 days ago with my lights on when suddenly the instrument cluster lights went out as well as my speedo - everything else on the cluster works fine and the other lights in the centre work too.

Checked fuse box - no blown fuses, smacking the dashboard will cause the speedo needle to wobble slightly (never past or close to 0, always below). I checked the ground behind the dash and all the wires seemed to be contacting

There is a weird thing going on, whenever I turn off the headlights - stalk all the way in, the OBC digital display backlight works perfectly fine, when I pull the headlights and turn them on, the OBC backlight goes off but it still works.

Please be patient with me and any pointers would be hugely appreciated

No easy answer for you. Start with the wiring diagrams for your year and model here: http://wedophones.com/Manuals/BMW/

As old as these cars are today, wires, connectors and grounds can cause real headaches. Good luck and let us know how it goes for you.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Sounds like SI board battery issue.
      When the batteries in the Cluster start to go bad, weird stuff starts happening.

Comment

Working...
      X