M42 oil filter housing question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 oil filter housing question

After changing oil to new synthetic, I found a leak I was looking for. Oil filter to block is leaking. I have new gasket and o-ring. Question is do I need to drain the oil or is the oil line below the housing. Being car was only started once since oil change I suppose I could recycle it. Not to be lazy but if I don;t have to do it why bother...

dlm ny

Good thing you got the new o-ring, as that's where they usually leak from.

You'll have a little seepage, but nothing will dump out. Just wipe the surface down with a rag before you reinstall the housing.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

R U saying you've changed gasket and o-ring without draining the oil?
      dlm ny Que es copper wheat?

Comment

"Copperwheat" is my last name.

No, you don't need to drain the oil. The filter housing is above the level at which the oil settles. You'll get a little seepage from the housing, but you can just wipe it off.

Comment

Thanks Copper wheat is a cool name...

Comment

F*ckin 0-ring

F*ckin BMW....... So I get to my oil leak. Car has a complete rebuild in it with less then 9K on it. Oil leaking from oil filter housing gasket area which I had reinstalled using high temp siliccone.... Had also replaced o ring in there at the same time. Well after getting it apart I can see it was leaking near the o ring area. Plus when I went to put a new o-ring in the old one was all brittle and cracked before it could slide it off and put the new one on. WTF After 9k I was pissed to see an o-ring crap out so quick. Any hoot..My Saturday rant. Time to start detailing my 2002 for my NY to NC trip to the Vintage at the Vineyards. Blunt- I owe you a beer in NC. dlm ny
            Attached Files

Comment

My guess is that o-ring was never replaced during the rebuild.

Comment

Working...
              X