SRS Delete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SRS Delete

I really hope this doesn't turn into an ethics debate. For various reasons, I want to remove the 20 year old (potentially dangerous) airbag / SRS system. I DO NOT want to screw with the electronics, so I'm guessing I don't just pull everything.

I know about disconnecting the battery and the orange boxes (explosion!). What I don't know is, can I leave everything disconnected or do I need to add resistors? Also, will I need a new steering column or can I just use a spacer and a new wheel?
    SOLD '90 325is SOLD

are you keeping the airbag wheel?

I removed the airbag wheel and the computer, left the sensors. All you really have to do is unplug the airbag at the steering wheel, which is really easy. No reason to freak out about disconnecting the battery, it's not like these things spontaneously go off. I don't get any "check" lights since the airbag computer is gone too.

There really isn't much else to it, and I wouldn't worry about ethical debates. lots of people remove E30 airbags for basically the same reasons. Hell, I rear-ended somebody at about 30mph and the damn thing didn't even go off. I replaced it with a much nicer Mtech2 wheel. And no, you don't need a new column, just a couple washers to fit the non-airbag wheel on.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

If you just remove the airbags, you will be getting an SRS light. Sounds like Nando has the right idea. I wouldn't leave the bags in if I was intent on permanently disabling the system. It's just extra weight that you don't need. If they are anything like the ones on my E46, then they are simple to remove. You do want to be careful to not allow any static electric discharges around those things though. It can potentially set them off.

If you work on the bags and then put them back in, it is good to have the battery disconnected. That way, you won't get the SRS light when you hook everything back up. But if you turn the key to the on position, the system will sense the bag is not there and throw the SRS light which probably takes a trip to the dealer to turn off. (Again, assuming these are similar to what is in my E46)
      1987 E30 325is
      1999 E46 323i
      RIP 1994 E32 740iL
      oo=[][]=oo

Comment

If you are removing the bag, just remove the light bulb as well. Problem solved. It's not like you will need to know if your non-functioning (removed) airbag is working or not.

Comment

it's easier to remove the computer and leave the bulb alone.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

great - sometime soon I'd like to get an old mtech1 or momo wheel in there. I hate the look of the airbag wheel.
            SOLD '90 325is SOLD

Comment

You will also have this pin that sticks up towards the steering wheel you have to either tape down or remove or else it will break off when you put a aftermarket steering wheel on and turn it. The white pin is used for the airbag cable reel to wind the srs cable back when you turn the steering wheel. Once that's broken off the cable reel will not retract correctly. If you were to say sell it and put the airbag back.

Orange box under the dash on driver side is the brain disconnect that before reconnecting the battery or it will trigger the srs light and the box will no longer function if you were ever to put it back in.
              2013 C250
              2012 ALPINA B7
              2006 X5 e53
              2001 740i e38
              1998 e320 s210
              2016 Kawi Vaquero

Comment

you can remove that pin without breaking it. at least I did.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

any more detailed info on the spacing needed? wanting to convert my 91 318i with a airbag wheel to a non airbag mtech1 wheel.
                  sigpic

Comment

For spacing, you will note that there is a steel spacer BEHIND the wheel. Get another that needs to go IN FRONT of the wheel, so you have:
                    (column)->(spacer)->(wheel)->(spacer)->(washer - optional)->(nut - replace) -> you.
                    Spacer part # is 32 31 1 120 260.

Comment

Remove airbag wheel and do this:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

But on a serious note, when I removed my airbag wheel and replaced with Mtech wheel, i just disconnected the orange airbag computer, and used spacers on steering wheel. No weird lights, no explosions.
                      sigpic
                      Parts Wanted
                      The Never-ending Resto Mod

Comment

Originally posted by SFGadgetGuy View Post
                        You will also have this pin that sticks up towards the steering wheel you have to either tape down or remove or else it will break off when you put a aftermarket steering wheel on and turn it. The white pin is used for the airbag cable reel to wind the srs cable back when you turn the steering wheel. Once that's broken off the cable reel will not retract correctly. If you were to say sell it and put the airbag back.

Orange box under the dash on driver side is the brain disconnect that before reconnecting the battery or it will trigger the srs light and the box will no longer function if you were ever to put it back in.
                        I want to disconnect mine, I see an orange box but it just looks like a relay. Can someone give me more clues as to how large the box is, about how large the connector is that needs to be unplugged or even pictures (highly unlikely). Just want to make sure I am not unplugging something totally unrelated.

Comment

I removed my airbag wheel and replaced it with a Nardi over the winter.
                          My SRS light keeps flashing because I'm not quite sure which plug to pull under my dash. Anyone have a pic?

Originally posted by Janderson
                          you can have the keys to my hunk of 20+ year old West German steel when you pry them from my cold dead fingers.

Comment

there's an orange airbag computer under the dash on the drivers side. it's something like 4" square and an inch thick. you can't miss it, just take it out.
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              there's an orange airbag computer under the dash on the drivers side. it's something like 4" square and an inch thick. you can't miss it, just take it out.
                              Yep, there should be two connectors if I remember right. I just unplugged both of those so I don't get the SRS light. I didn't bother taking the box out.

- E30, DSM, Golf R, Mazda 3 Skyactiv

Comment

Working...
                              X