Rear Window Regulator Removal Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Window Regulator Removal Question

I have a Bentley manual, and I've found some DIY articles on this, but they are all woefully inadequate on the following topic:

How can you lower the rear window when it isn't working?!?

You see, to get the regulator (and motor) out, I will need to remove the 2 bolts that hold the regulator to the glass. To do this, the Bentley manual helpfully suggests lowering the window halfway (so do some other tech articles out there). This would be great if my window could lower itself, but it can't. I tried pulling down on the window as much as I was comfortable, and no dice. SO...

How do I get the window down to where I can get at these bolts when the window does not lower itself?
    E30 M52B28

You may have already tried directly applying power to the window motor, but if you haven't perhaps this will help.

If you have access to a 12V battery charger, great. If not, you can use jumper cables hooked to the battery, and use a suitable set of alligator clips/jumper wire/insulated screwdrivers to apply power directly to the window motor (assuming that still works). In my case, it's "been there, done that" on the right rear window in a 91 318i.

At the top center of the large cavity, you should see a black connector (wiring still might be secured with a plastic cable tie). Using a pair of needle-nose pliers made it much easier to separate the window motor connector (female) from the wiring connector (male). The motor has two wires running into it (black and blue). When black is grounded and blue has the positive lead from the power source, the window lowers, while reversing these will raise the window. Since you want to lower the window, put positive (red) on the blue female connector, and negative (black) on black "female", and the window should go down.

Adios for now,

RM
    On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand. (Edward Mote 1797-1874)

Comment

I see no harm in trying this, so I will.

However- I am pretty certain the motor is getting power- when I use the front switch, I can hear it make the slightest sound as it tries to do something. Also, the motor becomes warm to the touch after this, so I think I am getting power.

When I say I need to remove the regulator, its to get the motor out- I think the motor is the problem. I am hopeful that if I get it out, I will be able to rehab it. Also... I found water in the rear switch, so that might need replacing as well.
      E30 M52B28

Comment

BUMP

I need to know the same thing. Why isn't there a manual backup crank like with the early style regulators?
        85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
        e30 restoration and V8 swap
        24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Working...
        X