Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check control possessed! Halp!

Hey all

Whilst trying to track down all the assorted and sundry problems with my newly acquired steed Grumpy, I've stumbled on a strange problem.

It has to do with the check control circuit. When I first start the car, the brake light check comes on...I know..its supposed to until you step on the brake...That works fine

However, when powering the lights, I get a tail light failure and license plate light error....while both actually work (incidentally, all contacts are good and clean....silver based bulbs all around)

Interestingly, if I FIRST turn the lights on...then START the car....I get no errors at all....

Think that the check control circuit is buggered?
    1987 325/4 *Grumpy*
    1996 328isaS/C *Angelina*: the *sirius* ubercommuter

no idea, my touring did that with the headlight since ive owned it--- i just learned to live with it. I made a jumper wire to connect one headlight wire to the other, and it fixed the problem till it rattled loose and i said F** it and just dealt with the light.

Comment

I've had about enough problems with my check control panel and I don't really feel like explaining it to any prosepective buyers. I think the solution is to swap in a blank panel from the 4 cylinder models :)
      I retired my E30 for now...
      E46 323i
      David Schultz

Comment

yeah, that's how you fix it, just remove it or take out the bulbs. :roll:

My check light for the same lights comes on once in a while. it could just be a loose connection, enough to set off the check light but not enough to make the ligths stop working. I'd check the wiring for those lights and make sure everything is snug. you could always try replacing the bulbs (maybe a different brand), they're not that expensive.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I get the same issue with the tail light stuff and the lights etc..

tell me if you fix it.. :)
          1988 325iC - "Betty" - Daily Driver/Project Car.
          1993 318i - "The Golden Dream" - Dad's Car.
          1995 318ti - "Hellrot" - R.I.P.

Comment

I had the same issues and felt like just disconnecting everything at one time also, but didn't feel right about not solving the problem. As far as the third brake light, I took out the circuit board and found nothing wrong. But, when I showed it to my electrician he immediately noticed a cold soldier joint. He re-soldiered and everything now works fine now. The tail lights were a different issue. I bought the european type bulbs and now I don't get that light either. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
            X