Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overtorque headbolts? or replace 1 by 1 (like bentley says)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you torqued each bolt up to the full amount then moved onto the next one matt?

Shouldnt have done that, the stages are designed to have all bolts torqued per stage, it isnt meant to be done bolt by bolt. The first stage means all bolts are tightened to 30 pounds following the tightening pattern specified in the manual (which is basically a circle starting from the middle of the head). Then stage 2 is all bolts are tightened futher to 40 pounds, you continue like that with each stage, you arent surposed to tighten each bolt to full torque then move onto the next one. Not a good way to spread torque evenly across the the head (and the gasket).
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

The reasoning for doing it the way I did, was because you don't want to decompress the head gasket, then recompress it (at least thats what I've been told). Anyway, Its holding 15psi with no problems.

matt

Comment

note to self, get metric blues FTW.

Comment

Glad you bumped such an old thread to make a mental note.

Good job...FTW!

Anyway....while on the subject. Are tehse really needed if I'm going to run N/A?? I figured no...?
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

maybe not, but I'm sick of replacing them every time the head has to come off. it's bad enough that I have to replace the HG and timing belt every time. :p
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by jcsomerset
              lastly - does anyone have a better torqueing suggestion for the torx head bolts than 23 ft/lbs then 1/4 turn then 1/4 turn? is there a ft/lb rating for each successive 1/4 turn.
              for what it is worth, I believe headbolts are 30nm, 90, 90. so that may have been a problem.

Comment

Working...
              X