HELP!! Car won't start!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! Car won't start!!

So this morning I hop in to go to school, and it won't start!! Only the ABS light comes on, and one to the left of it. I thought it was fuses, so I tested each one, everything is ok. Anyone ever experience something like this? It's a 325i, and I need to have the car running within a few hours, I need to do some surveying.

Keep it slideways!!

dead battery? your description leaves a lot to be desired.. it doesn't start, but what does it do? does it turn over?
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I had that issue last week, battery was toast, had power to run lights, but it would not even activate teh starter at all

tossed a new gell cell battery in there, and eveyrthing is great, mmmm 1000 crank amps :D

Comment

It's winter, it's cold, it's your battery.

-Charlie
        Swing wild, brake later, don't apologize.
        '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
        FYYFF

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie

-Charlie
          It's sitting inside, it's warm, you're wrong.

Absolutely no cranking at all. Only lights that light up are ABS and Battery. Boosting it gives nothing. All fuses are O.K.

I've went through the bently and haynes, but nothing in there is pertinent to my situation. I need to check some wiring, I think I may have a short somewhere, since everything was fine until I pulled out my deck, now it won't start. I'm thinking there may be a cross with an ACC wire.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe

-Charlie
            It's sitting inside, it's warm, you're wrong.

Absolutely no cranking at all. Only lights that light up are ABS and Battery. Boosting it gives nothing. All fuses are O.K.

I've went through the bently and haynes, but nothing in there is pertinent to my situation. I need to check some wiring, I think I may have a short somewhere, since everything was fine until I pulled out my deck, now it won't start. I'm thinking there may be a cross with an ACC wire.
            Your battery is dead.

-Charlie
            '89 324d, '76 02, '98 318ti, '03 Z4, '07 MCS, '07 F800s - Bonafide BMW elitist prick.
            FYYFF

Comment

Even if when boosted it give nothing and all my lights and stuff turn on normally?

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Average battery life is about 3 years in relatively cool climates. You're in Canada, a relatively cool climate. You can replace it, which you'll probably end up having to do regardless within a year anyways, and most likely solve your problem, or you can spend 3 days on a messageboard arguing with people giving you good advice based on your very limited mechanical knowledge.

Your call.

-Charlie
                FYYFF

Comment

Average battery life is about 3 years in relatively cool climates. You're in Canada, a relatively cool climate. You can replace it, which you'll probably end up having to do regardless within a year anyways, and most likely solve your problem, or you can spend 3 days on a messageboard arguing with people giving you good advice based on your very limited mechanical knowledge.

Your call.

-Charlie
                  Or you can shut the fuck up and stop being a smart ass. It's a one year old battery, and when boosted it make no difference. How many times have I said this? Twice?

Thanks for the effort. I'll just figure it out on my own.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by Axxe

Your call.

-Charlie
                    Or you can shut the fuck up and stop being a smart ass. It's a one year old battery, and when boosted it make no difference. How many times have I said this? Twice?

Thanks for the effort. I'll just figure it out on my own.
                    Check back with us in a week when your car is still sitting there. 3 of us tell you it's the battery, because *shocker* we are familiar with the symptoms. You don't want to listen to us.

Ciao.

-Charlie
                    FYYFF

Comment

how many batteries have I replaced..................after I tried to charge them.................
                      BEERTECH

Comment

For what it's worth I've had BRAND NEW batteries that were toast.. I wouldn't assume yours is good just because it's only 1 year old.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Might want to check on the jumper or whatever you did with the neutral saftey switch, might have bumped it while you were messing with the radio?

Comment

I checked the neutral safety switch jumper, every this cool and connected. Besides, if it was the jumper, I would have all lights and everything would appear fine except for the fact it wouldn't turn over.

Does anyone know where the starter relay or starter switch is? I checked the connections to the stereo but everything is tight and the connections are the same way I left them in august.

As for the battery - yes, I know it can be dead. But boosting it from another car rules out that possibility.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

no it doesnt. My sister's jeep wouldnt start, dead battery I thought, hooked up to another car, started, wouldnt run, even hooked up. installed new battery, jumped, ran fine.
                              BEERTECH

Comment

Working...
                              X