Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manual Sunroof handles - ANYTHING that can be done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual Sunroof handles - ANYTHING that can be done?

I'm facing 2 common problems our e30 manual sunroof handles seem to have and any help or tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated:

1). Over time the sunroof handles lose their spring action and are no longer tight enough to hold it up against itself...so it dangles down. Is there an easy fix to tighten the springs somehow or gum them up a bit to hold so the handle no longer flops down?

2) Also common, the little black plastic handle tip wears out and can no longer grip the chrome handle. If I were to glue it, the black handle tip would not spin freely as the handle is cranked. But, without doing so, the black handle tip no longer stays on the little groove and falls off. ANY tips on this one?

I hope you'll be able to offer quick/easy solutions (that do not include replacing a working handle).

Thanks

No idea on the tip, that probably comes from manhandling it :p

The handle dropping down is not caused by a spring getting weaker. There are two balls that press against the handle mechanism and keep it in place in the up position. Over time, the cast metal fork that holds these balls spreads out (it's under constant tension), and as a result they do not hold the handle anymore. Disassemble the mechanism, find the place where it's spread out, and gently compress it back to a more narrow width that holds the handle properly with a clamp or something.

(a hammer may or may not also work)
    cars beep boop

Comment

Thanks Kronus....

I'll see what I can do about squeezing the balls together tighter and hope that keeps it up. LOL

Comment

^^^^^
        Originally posted by Lof8
        Seriously. Every black wheel, regardless of spoke design, looks the same from more than 3 feet away.

Comment

power sunroof= awesome, but unless you take your headliner out it cant be done right.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by PDRbmw View Post
            I'll see what I can do about squeezing the balls together tighter and hope that keeps it up.
            That's what she said?

Comment

^lawl.

OP, why not get a new one at a junk yard?
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by PDRbmw View Post

2) Also common, the little black plastic handle tip wears out and can no longer grip the chrome handle. If I were to glue it, the black handle tip would not spin freely as the handle is cranked. But, without doing so, the black handle tip no longer stays on the little groove and falls off.

i've had my e30 for years, and i think mine fell off like around 2004? i can still open/close the sunroof easily, so i said fuggit.
                sigpic

Comment

Maybe you should lube the sliders of the sunroof so that it will move easier, then there will be less tension on the handle and it won't spread apart again after you fix it!
                  The difference between porcupines and BMWs is that porcupines have the pricks on the outside!

Comment

Working...
                  X