Power steering fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, a bunch of wrong info.

Dex-6 is too thin, and has an aggressive additive pack. Don't use it.

Use only Dex-3 compatible conventional ATF. The cheap stuff. Not a special type with extra seal-swelling additives. Not synthetic. Not "power steering" fluid.

If you intermittent power assist, but not binding when the engine is off, try replacing the fluid reservoir tank. It contains the system filter. A new one is only about $20-$22.

Comment

Originally posted by T La View Post
      Unfortunately, the new fluid has not helped the power steering :/ its still rough... should I try to replace the pump?
      You sure it's not the joints above the rack? I dumped some Mobil 1 on them, and all returned to hunky dory.

Ich gehöre nicht zur Baader-Meinhof Gruppe

Originally posted by Top Gear
      Just imagine waking up and remembering you're Mexican.

Every time you buy a car with DSC/ESC, Jesus kills a baby seal. With a kitten.

Comment

Originally posted by DJB View Post
        Wow, a bunch of wrong info.

Dex-6 is too thin, and has an aggressive additive pack. Don't use it.

Use only Dex-3 compatible conventional ATF. The cheap stuff. Not a special type with extra seal-swelling additives. Not synthetic. Not "power steering" fluid.

If you intermittent power assist, but not binding when the engine is off, try replacing the fluid reservoir tank. It contains the system filter. A new one is only about $20-$22.
        ugh. i already put in dex--6.... should i flush that and put dex 3 now?

Comment

Originally posted by T La View Post
          ugh. i already put in dex--6.... should i flush that and put dex 3 now?
          I would at least drain it an put in some Dex3, yes
          1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Working...
          X