Swapping from early model coolant system to the latemodel system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swapping from early model coolant system to the latemodel system

First off, if anyone knows of a FAQ or guide that would be great. It seems fairly strightforward but I have a few questions:

1.) Does the late model use a different water pump? The timing belt/water pump was replaced about a year ago so I don't see it necessary to do all that again (but will if necessary) (and my cars production date: 10/87 but it an 88)

2.) Does the radiator swap easily?

3.) What do I use to mount the expansion tank?

Other than that I guess it seems pretty simple...just drain the coolant, swap everything, refill it with coolant, then maybe bleed it?
    Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

This can be done. You'll need the following late model parts:

Radiator
    Expansion tank and cap
    Expansion tank bracket from a salvage yard
    Cross over tube
    Water pump
    All of large diameter hoses that connect to the Tstat housing, pump, and radiator
    The "T" hose that runs from the expansion tank to Tstat housing and heater

I don't know why you'd want to do this as it isn't cost effective and doesn't provide any advantages on a street car.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Well, I already have the radiator and expansion tank I pulled from my parts car vert a while back. My coolant is leaking somewhere and when I idle the temp gauge spikes so i figured i would just swap the system. i imagine the temp gauge is spiking because the rad fan isnt kicking on. but i dont know where the coolant is leaking from

maybe ill wait
      Tbolt Division

All I'm saying dude is that bird law in this country...it's not governed by reason.

Comment

Run a pressure test on the cooling system and you should be able to find the leak. In the absence of obvious leaks, I'd look for a leak out the weep hole in the bottom of the pump casing or in the heater core. Those may not leak until the engine is up to temperature and under pressure.

Hot running at idle tends to point to air in the system, a thermostat that isn't fully opening, or a bad fan clutch. The aux fan should not be needed at idle unless the A/C is on.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

if your car is an 88 it should already have the updated cooling system.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
          i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
          Originally posted by slammin.e28
          Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

it doesnt

but thanks guys ill look to the Bentley

leaning towards just fixing the issues for now until i need to do the tbelt/wpump and replace the cooling then.
            Tbolt Division

Comment

Working...
            X