POLL: Heater core recall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

POLL: Heater core recall

I'm having a spot of trouble getting this thing done. I've read many posts of people waltzing into their local dealership and getting it done immediately, even given a hot cup of coffee and some cookies for coming in.

Me, I can't get anyone to even do it. Now, I do indeed have a euro/grey market car, but the way I see it, the car was built by BMW for GERMANS themselves...shouldn't those cars be covered for service and safety recalls as well?

Please post if you've gotten the recall, what it took to get it done, and where you got it done (dealer and location). I find it hard to believe I'm "sol" just because I bought an immigrant :)

Ask someone with a parts car to give you the VIN plate on the dashboard. Swap it out it takes like 20 seconds.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Isnt the recall to install that little checkvalve before the heater core inlets at the firewall?

I have one either way lol

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
        Ask someone with a parts car to give you the VIN plate on the dashboard. Swap it out it takes like 20 seconds.
        Well, 1. my dash doesn't even have a VIN tag, apparently the euro cars never came with them on there (cops LOVE that), and I'd have to find someone that didnt get the recall done and doesnt plan on ever getting it done...

Besides, for a recall on a 20 year old car with euro parts all over it, do you honestly think they'll only check the vin on the dash?

Comment

Bottom line is, I was driving home one night and the heater core burst, pouring hot coolant all over my feet and filling the car with steam. This was on the highway...needed to pull over without being able to see.

I think I'm entitled to something...a new heater core and a carpet is all I'm looking for.

Comment

I highly doubt that a dealership would agree that you're entitled to a new heater core, carpet and necessary labor free of charge due to a 20 year old part that failed.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvis
              I highly doubt that a dealership would agree that you're entitled to a new heater core, carpet and necessary labor free of charge due to a 20 year old part that failed.
              You are missing the point. A recall was posted for our cars. Each and every single e30 ever made that was affected by the recall is entitled to a replaced heater core (or whatever recall it is) and free labor.

He just wants the recall performed.

There is no limit on the recall, its open ended.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jarvis
                It was a design failure that was a safety issue. It was to be replaced to avoid exactly what happened to me. Had I been a less experienced driver or been in traffic or something, it could have been much worse. I don't think a couple hundred bucks to cover something they claimed responsibility for is much to ask...

...maybe I'm just having trouble finding a carpet and see this as a way to get a new one :)

Comment

Give BMW NA A Call, and Tell them your local dealership is not willing to perform recal work on your xx bmw.
                  85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

recalls are different depending on what country you're in and maybe where the car came from according to BMW Canada. I know there is a recall for the heater core from the notices I've read on line BUT not on Canadian cars or at least not my car. BMW did perform the bypass valve, and rad cap recall but wouldn't do my core. The ONLY way BMW will do anything is if a recall shows outstanding under your vin number. You can talk til you're blue in the face but they will send you packing. I ended up replacing the core on my own, it's not that hard and the parts are cheap.

M

Originally posted by James Crivellone
                    Isnt the recall to install that little checkvalve before the heater core inlets at the firewall?

I have one either way lol

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
                      Give BMW NA A Call, and Tell them your local dealership is not willing to perform recal work on your xx bmw.
                      I did just that today...spent 30 min on the phone trying to get this straightened out.

Bottom line: My car doesn't come up on the BMW NA comps because of the foreign vin, therefore, no service or safety recalls can be tracked or noted. I'm shit outta luck. Oh well...I'll just fix it myself.

Comment

I know there was a recall, but BMW NA is notorious for treating its customers like shit. A dealership would most likely tell the guy to piss off at first, since it's a 20 year old car they're probably thinking the part was already replaced, but now that part failed and someone with a $1000 car is trying to get $500 in free labor done.
                        Even if you didn't have the problem with it being a euro car, and you could prove that your heater core was still the original factory part, you'd have to fight with a dealership to get it done.

Comment

Just do what jordan said. You just have to find a parts car that has not gotten the recal done to it. Of course they will never be able to the recal to their car, but it doesn't matter because it is a parts car.

Comment

Originally posted by Beemerfanatik
                            Well, 1. my dash doesn't even have a VIN tag, apparently the euro cars never came with them on there (cops LOVE that), and I'd have to find someone that didnt get the recall done and doesnt plan on ever getting it done...

Besides, for a recall on a 20 year old car with euro parts all over it, do you honestly think they'll only check the vin on the dash?

Comment

What years are affected by this recall?

How would one know if it had been done?

Comment

Working...
                              X