Checking Timing Belt ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checking Timing Belt ???

Is there any way to check the condition of your timing belt to check for wear.. Oh, its an m20b25.. Thanks..
    sigpic

Well if you are questioning it, replace it ;)
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Yes i know.. but i bought it from someone that said it was changed so i would just like to make sure with my own eyes ....
      sigpic

Comment

In that case, take the timing cover off and inspect it. Usually if the belt was replaced, there will be a sticker somewhere saying the date/mileage. Most timing belts come with a sticker as a reminder...
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

dont take the risk, just change it.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
          i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
          Originally posted by slammin.e28
          Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Ok guys.Thanks for the input...
            sigpic

Comment

visual inspection may help, i mean im sure you know what a new(er) belt looks like. but you seem like a strapping young man, you don't wanna turn a timing belt job into a head swap do you? :D
              1991 325iC - Mauritsblau sumthin metallic blue. DEAD
              1992 525i - Silber sumthin sumthin metallic- Rolling again, needs suspension/wheels/brakes/paint.... Fuck you A4S310R; BEAT YOU.
              1989 325i - Cirrusblau Metallic sumthin sumthin-project - trying to clean up the interior(done), then the body, then a 5spd, then suspension, then..... - [Stolen :| ]
              1991 325iC - Calypsorot Metallic
              1994 540i - Granitsilber

Originally posted by scabzzzz
              I've had blunts cock in my mouth, but I'm not gay.

Comment

Removing the timing cover is half the job in itself. If you are unsure, just check.

After you replace it, though, you can check the condition. Just look on the underside for cracks. Deep, perpendicular cracks are bad. Small little slits are generally okay. However, a timing belt is pretty sturdy compared to a v-belt.
                Me: "I can't wait to redline my car!"
                Mark: "Didn't you just break a rocker arm?"
                Me: "Yeah, I don't think I've learned my lesson."
                Mark: "You never will."

Comment

Seriously everyone? Its very easy to check.

Heres what you need to do.

Lift the black plastic cover, and feel it. It should have a little bit of slack, I believe no more than a 1/8in? Make sure you put the cover back into place. You really dont have to take it off, you can noodle your fingers underneath it.

Comment

Yeah, but if the tensioner was tightened properly, and isn't at the end of the slot, then there shouldn't be any slack. My concern would be the age of the belt, as I have seen a few belts go on customers' cars, one appeared to be in excellent condition, yet about 6 or 7 cogs ripped off it.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

timing belts aren't easily inspected. It may seem to have proper tension and look good while tensioned but once you take it off a whole different story.

P.O. of my vehicle told me that the t-belt was replaced 20k miles ago. Considering a t-belt and water pump job costs about $70 in parts I was like minuswhale do it for peace of mind. Took the covers off belt looked okay good tension. take the belt off and flexed it and could see cracks in the belt and peeled off a good 5 inch piece of the belt of the smooth side of it.

Comment

Agreed... Its the cheapest insurance you can buy, and youll bond with your car by spending some quality time...
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X