Head gasket failure test strips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head gasket failure test strips?

Looking to buy some test strips that detect the presence of HC/CO in coolant. I need some to help my father in law diag a possable (ok, probable really) head sealing issue in his truck.

I know Napa sells a blue water kind, but for $50... meh. Test strips are cheaper.

Where can i get 'em?
    1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

does your oil look milky?
    AWD > RWD

Comment

no it doesn't, but it doesn't have to if the failure is in between the combution chambers and a coolant jacket. The pistons will force partially-burnt gasses into the cooling system, and it's traces of that you are testing for.

and its not my car, its my father-in-law's 97 Dodge truck with a 318

Comment

The cheap DIY test for this is to fully bleed the cooing system, then drive the car for a bit and re-bleed. Release of a significant amount of air on that or subsequent bleed is evidence of a leaking head gasket.
        The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
        Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

^ I will try that thanks

Comment

you dont have to have milkshake oil to have a bad gasket. Oil pressure will be higher than coolant pressure, so if anything you can be pushing oil into coolant. i know my car has a bad head gasket because it spits coolant out the side of the engine.

As for the orig poster, what kind of truck does your dad have? Might be easier just to pull the head. Depends on the kind of truck, but some are easy.

Comment

Truck is a 97 Dakota with a 318 v8. Easy to do, but not as easy as a quick chemical test of the coolant ;)

Comment

Working...
              X