No announcement yet.

740iL m62 to m52 swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ e38s do come with 2.93s except for the sport, which i doubt OPs has that diff.

Comment

I see your logic, but it doesn't compute.

Diesel/WVO? (it would be hard to find the right engine, though)
      Slicktop City!

Comment

but i love e38s. this is a way to make it viable to own one.

yes, i do know it will cost more, a lot more, than an e30. cant find e38s just sitting in junkyards. but if i can pick this car up for 2k, and its in reasonable condition. im doing it. its my FRIENDS dad. not my dad.

anyway, it all depends the condition of the car when i see it.
        AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
          but i love e38s. this is a way to make it viable to own one.

yes, i do know it will cost more, a lot more, than an e30. cant find e38s just sitting in junkyards. but if i can pick this car up for 2k, and its in reasonable condition. im doing it. its my FRIENDS dad. not my dad.

2k is only a steal if its all up to date and working or very close.

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
            AWD > RWD

Comment

Yes, i read that, hence why i quoted it.

Comment

plenty of 728 autos around the globe.
                sigpic

Comment

You are going to go to all the trouble of an engine swap to get a few more miles per gallon out of a luxury boat that will get passed up by grandmas with canes. Why? Just get the car and drive it.

If you are that concerned with gas mileage, you should not drive a 7.

Comment

still makes no sense...you'll spend the difference you might save in mpg to do the swap etc.. leave the 740il alone or sell and buy a prius and turn in your card.
                    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

look at jeep wranglers. the for cylinders don't get much better milage, because they're so under powered compared to the straight 6

Comment

we'll see. i have a good bit of disposable income. so if this fails im not going to cry about it.
                        AWD > RWD

Comment

tell you what, i'll trade you my 91 tercel for the E38. the tercel gets 47mpg if you drive like granny, and 38mpg driving it like a stolen rental car.

let me know what you think...
                          Originally posted by BillBrasky
                          That's like Vlad challenging Chip Foose to a car painting contest.
                          Originally posted by acolella76
                          i'm pretty sure 'Phillis' is short for syphilis
                          2007 CVPI, stock and slow
                          1994 tercel, 5efhe swap, i/h/e
                          1984 t-type, 5.3/th350 swap in progress

My newest addition:
                          Rebecca Arlene, born 4/19/2013

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                            still makes no sense...you'll spend the difference you might save in mpg to do the swap etc..
                            This. Not to mention the unbelievably complicated wiring you'll have to do to make an m52 run in an e38. How exactly do you propose going about that?? The $3K you'll spend getting it running will pay for the difference in fuel consumption two hundred times over. Not that you'll get good mileage with the m52 anyway. Small engine + big, heavy car = engine works harder and uses more fuel.

Just as a reference, my e34 525i with the m50NV gets about 21mpg combined, and only about 26-27 at 100% highway driving. And it weighs around 600lbs less than the e38...

If you want better mileage with great comfort, buy an e39 525i with the m54b25. 30+mpg is a cake walk with that car.

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
                              If you want better mileage with great comfort, buy an e39 525i with the m54b25. 30+mpg is a cake walk with that car.
                              this may be a decent suggestion. but i dont think i can find one for less than 3 grand. its not really worth it to me to spend more than that. im not trying to spend $7k.

i may as well keep my eta.
                              Last edited by Kershaw; 10-22-2010, 10:01 PM.
                              AWD > RWD

Comment

[QUOTe

we'll see. i have a good bit of disposable income. so if this fails im not going to cry about it.[/QUOTE]
                                We can serve you better through Email

sales@blunttech.com
                                www.blunttech.com

Like us on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                                X