Flywheel options for 325eS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flywheel options for 325eS

While I'm not completely sure, I'm assuming that I've most likely got the eta dual mass flywheel in my car (1986, 01/86 build date). I'm aware that this topic has been discussed in other threads, but it seems a definite answer is never reached. I know that some eta's have a single mass, so here's what I'm wondering. I've posed 3 questions / options.

1. Can the single-mass flywheel from an eta equipped with one be swapped in directly?

2. Can the single-mass flywheel from a 325i be used with some modification? (reference sensor issues?) If so, what modifications(s)?

3. Would it make more sense / be easier to just have the dual-mass eta flywheel lightened by a machine shop? This is the last-ditch option, as I had hoped to be able to use a single-mass and have IT lightened, but I will do what I need to.

you can use the single mass eta flywheel but you also have to swap the clutch disk and pressure plate along with maybe the Throwout bearing(release bearing)
    85 325e 2.7 ITB'd stroker

Comment

Originally posted by rs4pro3
      you can use the single mass eta flywheel but you also have to swap the clutch disk and pressure plate along with maybe the Throwout bearing(release bearing)
      Thanks, man.

Now, does anyone know what year eta's came with the single-mass, so I can correctly order and/or search for the parts I would need?

Comment

I thought that an M20B25 flywheel could be used as an alternative with the Eta? :?

If it can, I have one laying around here I can part with Josh.

Jon
        Rides...
        1991 325i - sold :(
        2004 2WD Frontier King Cab

RIP #17 Jules Bianchi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon325i
          I thought that an M20B25 flywheel could be used as an alternative with the Eta? :?

If it can, I have one laying around here I can part with Josh.

Jon
          It's missing some of the makers for the flywheel sensors that etas have. It will bolt up, but the car wont start because there will be no TDC or RPM signal.
          Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Common sense- It's the new 'gifted'

Comment

Josh 84 and early 85's should have the single mass.

Comment

Sorry to hijack but did all '86 eta's have the dual-mass? I think that there is a difference starting mid-year (6/86 and later, I think) because the starters and clutch/pressure plate are listed different depending on whether it's an early or late '86 model. Just curious, but if the '84 and '85 eta's had a single mass AND the parts listed above changed in mid-year '86 it may be that your car is a single mass...Worth checking out. The reason I jumped in is that my eta has a build date of 2/86...

Comment

Best I can tell is yes.

Comment

Originally posted by EverWiser
                  Sorry to hijack but did all '86 eta's have the dual-mass? I think that there is a difference starting mid-year (6/86 and later, I think) because the starters and clutch/pressure plate are listed different depending on whether it's an early or late '86 model. Just curious, but if the '84 and '85 eta's had a single mass AND the parts listed above changed in mid-year '86 it may be that your car is a single mass...Worth checking out. The reason I jumped in is that my eta has a build date of 2/86...
                  Does your car have a single-mass?

I suppose I can check mine next weekend, Jordan and I are swapping in a new driveshaft on my car, and replacing a tranny seal.

Comment

Pull the lower tranny bellhousing, or look in threw one of the speed/reference sensors holes and you should be able to tell.

Comment

And I should have said that "I am curious too". LOL I haven't taken mine apart yet to check but I bought the clutch and pressure plate listed for the "early" '86 models.

Comment

5/86 is the production split on the flywheels.
                        Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
                          So my car has the single-mass flywheel already?

Comment

Seems like a definite possibility...

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
                              Originally posted by AdamF 88iS
                              So my car has the single-mass flywheel already?
                              There's a good chance, yea.
                              Adam Fogg- '88 M3

Comment

Working...
                              X