Key wont turn to start position

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Key wont turn to start position

I have a 89 325i it's been driving fine. The past couple days when I put the key in to crank the car it will feel like the key is grinding on something as it moves to the start position. Today I drove to the gas station near my house and got out. When I got back in the key will not start the car. It will move almost to accessory, the check panel lights and stereo will come on but the window motors will not work. I thought it was a worn key but tried my spare... same result.

What could cause my key not to turn all the way in the cylinder?

Removed the lock cylinder using this guide: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...light=key+turn

Now using a flat head screw driver to start the car until I can replace it.

Comment

You'll have to pull parts to figure out if the problem i the lock cylinder, ignition switch, or steering lock. Start by removing the ignition switch, since it dismounts easily.
      The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
      Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

More than likely it isn't the switch, more than likely it is the section of steering column between the lock cylinder and the switch.

It isn't all that hard to swap out except for the stupid little bolts that have no head. Get a dremel and a cut off wheel and cut a slot, then just use a screwdriver to pull the screw.

GL!
        Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I'm more than certain it's the lock cylinder. I've got it removed and it clearly has something impeding the turning of the key. Even trying both keys it will not allow full movement. The car is functioning just fine without the cylinder, just using a flat head screwdriver to turn the ignition switch.

Even with the lock cylinder in the column the steering wheel lock functions correctly and could be disabled by turning the key almost to accessory.

Regardless if the lock cylinder is in the car or removed it wont allow the key to turn much further than accessory.

Comment

Examining the lock cylinder there is a white block of plastic that slides back and forth. This is what was stopping the key from making it's full range of motion.

Is this the steering wheel lock/switch you were referring to, Luke?

Comment

i've had the same problem for a few months now. its the damn lock cylinder that is getting jammed, but im using a screw driver to start it and turning the key to accessory to unlock the wheel and drive.
              sigpic
              1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
              1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
              1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by riverdale21 View Post
                Examining the lock cylinder there is a white block of plastic that slides back and forth. This is what was stopping the key from making it's full range of motion.

Is this the steering wheel lock/switch you were referring to, Luke?
                Nope, the thing that the lock cylinder inserts into. It is the cast aluminum part that holds the steering wheel bearing, the cylinder and switch.

You got lucky! Buy a new cylinder and get it keyed properly!

Closing SOON!
                "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

That's the plan. Autozone said they could get me a key lock cylinder for $70 but it would be with their key. If I'm going to replace it I'd rather do it right and have a cylinder that works with my door keys.

Just out of curiosity what is that sliding white plastic block on the cylinder?

Comment

Working...
                  X