I think these mounts are BAD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think these mounts are BAD

Seems that factory motor mounts are not made to do 288K miles. these are the originals that I replaced today due to the clutched fan interfering with the shroud, and breaking blades off (two separate fans, minimal radiator damage thankfully)

this was the worst of the two, the offset in the studs is almost a studs width

total sag in the mounts was nearly 5/8 inch, as measured between oilpan and rack.

Moral of this story, CHANGE YOUR DAMN MOUNTS
    I saved 15% on my Bimmer parts by switching to ...

i think i remember the transmission mounts broke in half on my buddies parts car. these things looked like pennies after you put them on the railroad tracks.

The Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

Originally posted by ttrousdell View Post
      i think i remember the transmission mounts broke in half on my buddies parts car. these things looked like pennies after you put them on the railroad tracks.
      these things looked like pennies after you put them on the railroad tracks.

Mine are way worse & i have yet to replace them still ..
      Perfect description is -

Comment

Yea both my motor mounts sheared.
        Ma che cazzo state dicendo? :|

Comment

Pff when I changed my motor mounts they just crumbled when I took them out.
          Me: "I can't wait to redline my car!"
          Mark: "Didn't you just break a rocker arm?"
          Me: "Yeah, I don't think I've learned my lesson."
          Mark: "You never will."

Comment

If never replaced or new car to you do it. Like that you know what milage you have on them etc. done deal.
            Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Are your old mounts for sale? Mine broke the other day so my fan put a big hole in my radiator and I dont have much money for new mounts. If theyre for sale, can I have some more detailed pics of them? Maybe some closeups of the threads? Pending those pics, Ill give you $15 shipped for the pair shipped 2nd day to 46220.
              RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
              Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
              DaveCN = Old Man
              My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
              If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

^ brand new mounts can be had for just over 20 a pair, why pay 15 for used ones?

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist View Post
                  Are your old mounts for sale? Mine broke the other day so my fan put a big hole in my radiator and I dont have much money for new mounts. If theyre for sale, can I have some more detailed pics of them? Maybe some closeups of the threads? Pending those pics, Ill give you $15 shipped for the pair shipped 2nd day to 46220.
                  r3v at its finest.
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by PeaveyBassist View Post

Perfect example of how cheap people on r3v are.
                    Originally posted by bmwm42
                    PNW vulture pm me for parts
                    Strategic nw e30 command

Comment

Here is a video of when one of my mounts broke. I am going to chain in the new mounts just in case it happens again.
                      Recorded on November 28, 2010 using a Flip Video camcorder.
                      John

2013 NASA-SE TTE Champion

Tracks driven: AMP, Barber, CMP, CMS (Lowe's), Daytona, NCCAR, Road Atlanta, Rockingham, RRR, Sebring, Texas World Speedway, VIR (Full, Grand, South, North, & Patriot), Watkins Glen.

Comment

changed mine with beefier E28 535i.

One of mine was split in two ! 112k miles only !

Maybe my 2.7 is a bit torquier than your run oof the mill M20B25 but still...

I also ended up replacing the tranny mounts with 2 of the E21 323i type, beefier than standard E30 as there is only 1 on the E21.

cheers Pierre
                        1988 E30 ALPINA B3 2.7 #224/257 Made in Buchloe

see more : http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=71686&referrerid=12460

Comment

Working...
                        X